Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Would anyone be kind enough to help me identify bridgestone bike?
Hi Guys!  I/m New here and as well as in cycling. I got my first bike just recently and its a Bridgestone Roadman Super Colmo. Would anyone be kind enough to help me identify when this was made or any other info regarding my bike? I found very less info on google. I think the serial number is RM703s .Thanks in advance! Smile 

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-17-2020, 04:14 AM)Datord Wrote:  Hi Guys!  I/m New here and as well as in cycling. I got my first bike just recently and its a Bridgestone Roadman Super Colmo. Would anyone be kind enough to help me identify when this was made or any other info regarding my bike? I found very less info on google. I think the serial number is RM703s .Thanks in advance! Smile 

Welcome!

I'm not sure for how many years, and how many variants of this bike were made. They were definitely around in the mid 70s, but I don't know if they were made into the '80s or not. Kind of unique for the style of bike with the "aero" shifters on the top of the down tube; mostly found on 80's time trial bikes, and not touring/sport/commuter bikes. I'm not sure it the drop bars were standard or moustache bars (raised); it may have been an option and/or dependent on the model year. Also they had wheel fenders and kickstand, so yours may have been removed at some time. Given the over the top cable routing on the BB shell, flat fork crown, and exposed nutted brake mounting I would figure it to be around late 70s to mid 80s and maybe to late 80s, not having bottle cage bosses makes me think earlier version (late 70s). Without seeing details of the components and frame it is hard to determine value. I think your serial number (decal may be the model number) is stamped on the top front of the headtube/headtube upper lug or on the bottom of the BB shell. If the components are original you may find date codes on them that will get you to within a year or so of the frame date. Type of components and tubing will determine price as well as frame construction quality. Shifters (original?) appear to be "plastic/resin" with steel reinforcement indicating a lower grade component; I cannot make out the brand (most likely Shimano or Suntour). The bike should easily fetch $100 (low end) or more if everything is in proper working order; but I wouldn't expect it to get much over $300 (in excellent condition) unless these models are in demand by collectors. Condition will also determine overall value, as well as frame tubing and size (due to higher demand for medium sizes over smaller and larger frames). Yours appears to be about a 53cm seat tube, center to center measurement; smaller side of a medium sized frame (53cm-56cm). You can try and see if there are any Bridgestone catalog examples from the 70s-early 80s showing this model. It may not be shown by name but by model designation (RM###, ?).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Hello.
RM703 is not a serial number but I am sure that it tells us about 27 x 1 3/8 wheels and 54cm frame size. This Roadman has a Cr-Mo frame (very distinctive paint) and standout cranks. These bikes were marketed mostly in Japan & China, so there might not be much information out there.

Can you please take a photo of both the front and rear derailleur? The rear one must be Suntour Klimatic.
Autobahn
(08-18-2020, 05:25 AM)G_M Wrote:  Hello.
RM703 is not a serial number but I am sure that it tells us about 27 x 1 3/8 wheels and 54cm frame size. This Roadman has a Cr-Mo frame (very distinctive paint) and standout cranks. These bikes were marketed mostly in Japan & China, so there might not be much information out there.

Can you please take a photo of both the front and rear derailleur? The rear one must be Suntour Klimatic.

Hi, Thanks for the response! I finally found the correct serial number. haha
its X100888 (photo attached)

(08-18-2020, 03:45 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(08-17-2020, 04:14 AM)Datord Wrote:  Hi Guys!  I/m New here and as well as in cycling. I got my first bike just recently and its a Bridgestone Roadman Super Colmo. Would anyone be kind enough to help me identify when this was made or any other info regarding my bike? I found very less info on google. I think the serial number is RM703s .Thanks in advance! Smile 

Welcome!

I'm not sure for how many years, and how many variants of this bike were made. They were definitely around in the mid 70s, but I don't know if they were made into the '80s or not. Kind of unique for the style of bike was the "aero" shifters on the top of the down tube; mostly found on 80's time trial bikes, and not touring/sport/commuter bikes. I'm not sure it the drop bars were standard or moustache bars (raised); it may have been an option and/or dependent on the model year. Also they had wheel fenders and kickstand, so yours may have been removed at some time. Given the over the top cable routing on the BB shell, flat fork crown, and exposed nutted brake mounting I would figure it to be around mid to late 70s, not having bottle cage bosses makes me think earlier version (mid 70s). Without seeing details of the components and frame it is hard to determine value. I think your serial number (decal may be the model number) is stamped on the top front of the headtube/headtube upper lug or on the bottom of the BB shell. If the components are original you may find date codes on them that will get to to within a year or so of the frame date. Type of components and tubing will determine price as well as frame construction quality. Shifters (original?) appear to be "plastic/resin" with steel reinforcement indicating a lower grade component; I cannot make out the brand (most likely Shimano or Suntour). The bike should easily fetch $100 (low end) or more if everything is in proper working order; but I wouldn't expect it to get much over $300 (in excellent condition) unless these models are in demand by collectors. Condition will also determine overall value, as well as frame tubing and size (due to higher demand for medium sizes over smaller and larger frames). Yours appears to be about a 53cm seat tube, center to center measurement; smaller side of a medium sized frame (53cm-56cm). You can try and see if there are any Bridgestone catalog examples from the 70s-early 80s showing this model. It may not be shown by name but by model designation (RM###, ?).

Thanks man! Not sure if the aero shifters levers are original but its a "Suntour klimatic Shifter" . The drops are standard (i think), i removed the kickstand cause it was a bit heavy. Its actually 56cm bike Im 5'10. I found the Serial Number, its "X100888" (photo attached) . How can we determine the age of the bike using the SN?

Attached Files Image(s)

hello Datord.
I am not familiar with Bridgestone bikes, but from what I see - unfortunately, this is not a high quality frame but rather entry-level. I would date it in between 1990-95 based on the paint job and components but that is just an estimate. nevertheless, it is still a decent bike for commuting and fun rides.

by the way, how is road cycling culture in UAE? isn't it too hot to bike there and how are the bike roads in the city?
(08-21-2020, 05:43 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  hello Datord.
I am not familiar with Bridgestone bikes, but from what I see - unfortunately, this is not a high quality frame but rather entry-level. I would date it in between 1990-95 based on the paint job and components but that is just an estimate. nevertheless, it is still a decent bike for commuting and fun rides.

by the way, how is road cycling culture in UAE? isn't it too hot to bike there and how are the bike roads in the city?

Wow, we're all over place on this bike. It is an odd one for sure. I have a problem with the fork crown style being post 80s; but I've not seen that bike before this post. Now I'm curious when the "aero" DT shifters were phased out. All my frames with those shifters are 80s manufacture.

Hey Dom, I cycled in Bahrain for a little bit and did some "rock" climbing in Oman. Worse in Florida with the humidity in my opinion, but heat off of pavement was the problem for me.
Take care,
Jesper

Hey Papa Dom! First off, I found your name quite funny because my real name is Dom, too. haha.
Thanks for the response, btw. Do you think its work restoring? I've ridden the bike for like 100km+ in total now without changing anything on it.

Oh UAE has huge community of cyclist. I work and live in Abu Dhabi and bike lanes are always packed so, I tend to ride late at night. It is hot at this time so night ride would be the best tie to cycle. You'd just have to bear with the humidity and headwinds everywhere. It's like head wind follows you on purpose. lol

(08-21-2020, 05:16 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

Wow, we're all over place on this bike. It is an odd one for sure. I have a problem with the fork crown style being post 80s; but I've not seen that bike before this post. Now I'm curious when the "aero" DT shifters were phased out. All my frames with those shifters are 80s manufacture.

Hey Dom, I cycled in Bahrain for a little bit and did some "rock" climbing in Oman. Worse in Florida with the humidity in my opinion, but heat off of pavement was the problem for me.

I know, right? haha. So do you think this was 80's manufactured as well? No one seems to know how to decipher its serial number. lol. DO you think its worth it to upgrade the bike?

Noice! What time of the year was that in Bahrain? yeah, humidity is always the problem here at this time of the year.
(08-26-2020, 08:24 AM)Datord Wrote:  I know, right? haha. So do you think this was 80's manufactured as well? No one seems to know how to decipher its serial number. lol. DO you think its worth it to upgrade the bike?

Noice! What time of the year was that in Bahrain? yeah, humidity is always the problem here at this time of the year.
I was in Bahrain back in the '80s during January through May part of the year.

I'm more of the opinion that your bike is from the mid '80s time frame given its features and other comments provided. It is not a "high end" bike, but it is not a bad bike either. I have never heard of specific problems with Bridgestone bikes in general, and they did make some high quality bikes. As for upgrading it; I would not put too much money into it except possibly the brakes which can be improved at low cost with new or used parts. If the shifting system works okay (with proper maintenance/adjustment), then you should be good to go unless you need a more comfortable saddle, Even if you spend a lot on higher end parts it won't necessarily raise its value very much except for reliability and performance which is great if you plan on keeping it and riding it regularly; otherwise get the existing equipment in proper working order and you should have a decent rider. I am unfamiliar with the "Klimatic" derailleurs so if someone else has an opinion on their performance it might give you a better idea if that system is worth keeping; it certainly can be replaced with something equal or better at a very reasonable cost.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...