Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need to replace worn gears...can you recommend?
Hello, I need to replace worn components on my 1996 Cannondale T700 touring.
Can you tell me what my options are? Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

crankset CODA 300M, 22,32,42 teeth
bottom bracket Shimano BB-UN52
BB shell width 68mm English
Rear cogs 7 speed 11-28
Chain Sachs SC 40, 1/2 x 3/32"

Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio top swing bottom pull
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX SGS
If you are replacing everything listed and want taller gearing, now is the time. would also be nice to know what derailluers you also have. and approx. budget. sounds like a compact crankset and did you mean..11-28 on the cassette?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hello Painkiller,

Thank you for your response.

I added the derailleurs to the description.

Yes, I meant 11-28 for the cassette. And want to replace all of this at the same time.

I don't know what is "taller gearing"? If possible I could use something that is easier to go up hills.

For the budget, can I keep it under $1000? I don't really know what this all costs?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help. Information like this is hard to come by.

Also, if you do know, how would I go about buying this stuff. Can you recommend a dealer on the Internet?

(07-23-2020, 09:27 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  If you are replacing everything listed and want taller gearing, now is the time. would also be nice to know what derailluers you also have. and approx. budget. sounds like a compact crankset and did you mean..11-28 on the cassette?
taller gearing would mean more teeth on your front chainrings...i.e more road bike type such as 50 tooth or even more. but with your statement of easier uphill and you are fine with overall top end you may consider a rear cluster change to 32t or 34t big cog in rear. your front chainrings are typically as small as they come already, without custom modification, assuming you are pulling hills in your smallest ring up front.

Also on your rear derailluer there should be a model #, I assume yours is all black with white lettering. the number should read something like.. RD-M565. The crankset will be your hard hit in the pocket book. I know of a NOS Shimano LX of era that you could use. But being considered "Vintage" it comes with a price tag from most sellers that are all about the money, because they can. but with that said. you would still be in under $400ish for the crankset, rear cluster, chain, and bottom bracket. new cranksets can be cheaper but of much lower quality, rivited steel chainrings and such degrading the bike. Even if you could find a CODA crankset NOS it would be costly and frankly I would opt for the NOS Shimano LX Crankset myself for the money.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-23-2020, 05:29 PM)rock49911 Wrote:  Hello, I need to replace worn components on my 1996 Cannondale T700 touring.
Can you tell me what my options are? Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

crankset CODA 300M, 22,32,42 teeth
bottom bracket Shimano BB-UN52
BB shell width 68mm English
Rear cogs 7 speed 11-28
Chain Sachs SC 40, 1/2 x 3/32"

Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio top swing bottom pull
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX SGS

(07-23-2020, 09:27 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  If you are replacing everything listed and want taller gearing, now is the time. would also be nice to know what derailluers you also have. and approx. budget. sounds like a compact crankset and did you mean..11-28 on the cassette?

(07-23-2020, 09:42 PM)rock49911 Wrote:  Hello Painkiller,

Thank you for your response.

I added the derailleurs to the description.

Yes, I meant 11-28 for the cassette. And want to replace all of this at the same time.

I don't know what is "taller gearing"? If possible I could use something that is easier to go up hills.

For the budget, can I keep it under $1000? I don't really know what this all costs?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help. Information like this is hard to come by.

Also, if you do know, how would I go about buying this stuff. Can you recommend a dealer on the Internet?

Sorry, too impatient to edit out old posts.

I agree with Painkiller; but I must ask: what is or are the worn parts? I make no assumption regarding age, gender, physical condition, etc. towards yourself and your interest in cycling on any level. If you are just trying to "refurbish" and set-up for custom personal use, then you can replace just the worn parts, and change rear cogs as needed, or replace the entire cassette. I wouldn't worry about "staying original" on components; you can get as good or better new for $ savings. I think, depending on parts cost, that you could improve this bike for well under $300; albeit you need to be a little savvy getting good parts at decent prices. Places to check are "eBay", "craigslist", and similar sites; or this and other cycling forum sites that have a "marketplace" forum. You will often times find some decent deals; of course there is buying the "donor" bike (I won't go there).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Hello Painkiller, I would gladly give you a consultation fee for figuring out what I should buy and where to buy it. I don’t need or want original equipment, just new durable components that will fit and work for years to come. Is $500-700 reasonable? I could give you $100 consultation fee for your effort.

b][/b]
(07-23-2020, 09:53 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  taller gearing would mean more teeth on your front chainrings...i.e more road bike type such as 50 tooth or even more. but with your statement of easier uphill and you are fine with overall top end you may consider a rear cluster change to 32t or 34t big cog in rear. your front chainrings are typically as small as they come already, without custom modification, assuming you are pulling hills in your smallest ring up front.

Also on your rear derailluer there should be a model #, I assume yours is all black with white lettering. the number should read something like.. RD-M565. The crankset will be your hard hit in the pocket book. I know of a NOS Shimano LX of era that you could use. But being considered "Vintage" it comes with a price tag from most sellers that are all about the money, because they can. but with that said. you would still be in under $400ish for the crankset, rear cluster, chain, and bottom bracket. new cranksets can be cheaper but of much lower quality, rivited steel chainrings and such degrading the bike. Even if you could find a CODA crankset NOS it would be costly and frankly I would opt for the NOS Shimano LX Crankset myself for the money.
Hello Don, That is a very kind gesture But I must decline. We all have something special that we can pay forward to help others. Mine just happens to be knowledge of a few things related to bicycles. All I need is a picture or the model# of the rear derailluer to be sure of a nice fit for the list I have prepared for you. I believe this type of job should be done with one thing in mind. "To help retain the value of the bike" All parts should be of equal to or better than the original and being of "Era" is a nice plus if that can be done too. The other question ,who will be doing the work? It will require some special tools to perform parts swap. I can supply a tool list if need be. There may even be a bicycle Co Op in your area that can help with the build.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-26-2020, 07:41 AM
Last Post: DoctorGonzo

05-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

04-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Joe_W