Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Front Derailleur Stuck
Hi all,

Firstly I'm kind of new to cycling so bare with me.

I really wanted to get into cycling during lockdown and ordered a bike online and had to build it myself.

I wanted a road bike and I didn't really want to build it but due to so many people getting into cycling this was my only option.

The problem is that my front derailleur cage is catching on the gears and it means I can't peddle. I can't adjust the gears from the handle bars and I really don't know what to do. I have attached a picture of the cage.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-22-2020, 08:59 AM)Matt F Wrote:  Hi all,

Firstly I'm kind of new to cycling so bare with me.

I really wanted to get into cycling during lockdown and ordered a bike online and had to build it myself.

I wanted a road bike and I didn't really want to build it but due to so many people getting into cycling this was my only option.

The problem is that my front derailleur cage is catching on the gears and it means I can't peddle. I can't adjust the gears from the handle bars and I really don't know what to do. I have attached a picture of the cage.

Welcome Matt,

I appears that you have a tube clamp-on Front Derailleur (FD). Loosen FD clamp bolt and carefully slide it up the seat tube. I set my cage so that it is approx. 1/16" above the largest sprocket during shift up/down conditions. You will probably need to readjust the front indexed shifting. Take out any cable slack which was just introduced by moving the FD upwards on the seat tube. "Trim" the FD cage position so that it is optimally aligned in the gear/gear range most commonly used. The FD has some "leeway" as to where the cage aligns to on a specific "click". Your most common chainline should dictate the fine tuned adjustment for your personal riding habits, which might be significantly different from my settings if I was on your bike.

Edit: Also ensure that the cage is not hitting the chainwheel guard. The cage should be aligned fairly straight front to back. If you are hitting the guard with proper alignment, then you will need too adjust the high limit screw (turn it in a little) so that it keeps the cage from interfering with the guard. The guard itself is not necessary, but still offers protection from your leg/ankle from contacting the chain or clothes from getting caught in the chain.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...