Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can't Find Replacement for 6-Speed Shimano Cassette
    Hey everyone. I'm new to working on bikes and have been cleaning mine from using it at college. I replaced the chain since it was very stretched. The new chain was slipping a lot. After searching for why that was happening I concluded that I needed to replace my sprockets. The tool fitting rotates with the sprockets, so I think this is a cassette style. However, I cannot find any Shimano 6-Speed cassettes. I also found someone on a forum saying Shimano never made 6-speed cassettes. I don't want to have to buy a 7-speed shifter or attempt to make a 7-speed cassette work with the 6-speed shifter on my bike. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. This forum was recommended to me after I posted this question on reddit. I have included a link to that post. I also attached a picture. The tool fitting reads "Shimano Hyper Glide-C". Thanks in advance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/h8mx0m/cant_find_replacement_for_6speed_shimano_cassette/
one option is to buy a 7 or 8spd cassette, grind off the rivits to separate the cogs and spacers use the cogs you want in sequence ( keep this in mind when picking the h/l gear). slip cogs and spacers on individual just like normal and you are good to go. That is how you make custom gear sets, they do not have to be rivited to function properly
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(06-14-2020, 01:55 PM)TGIII Wrote:  Hey everyone. I'm new to working on bikes and have been cleaning mine from using it at college. I replaced the chain since it was very stretched. The new chain was slipping a lot. After searching for why that was happening I concluded that I needed to replace my sprockets. The tool fitting rotates with the sprockets, so I think this is a cassette style. However, I cannot find any Shimano 6-Speed cassettes. I also found someone on a forum saying Shimano never made 6-speed cassettes. I don't want to have to buy a 7-speed shifter or attempt to make a 7-speed cassette work with the 6-speed shifter on my bike. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. This forum was recommended to me after I posted this question on reddit. I have included a link to that post. I also attached a picture. The tool fitting reads "Shimano Hyper Glide-C". Thanks in advance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/h8mx0m/cant_find_replacement_for_6speed_shimano_cassette/
I don't recall Shimano making a "HyperGlide" 6 speed cassette (UniGlide, yes). This may have been a 7 speed originally and is using a spacer(s) to account for the missing sprocket. It certainly does not look that worn on the teeth. Maybe just replace the sprocket(s) that you need; you should be able to get them as a separate items without having to replace the entire cassette unless you want to change your gear ratios. I think the UniGlide had a threaded sprocket on the small gear; your freehub will tell that that story if it has any threads, don't think Hyperglides had any threaded sprockets. I may be wrong as I am not intimately familiar with these Shimano set-ups. Do you know the year? Make sure you have the correct chain width for the set-up, you may require a 7 speed compatible chain whereas a 6 speed chain would have been wider (causing the slippage?,just guessing!); ask your bike shop people, they should know. I have many parts and just swap the stuff out with newer or older variants until I dial it in if I don't know what was original; always best to verify what an old part was and match it if possible since I assume it was working properly for you at some time previous to the excessive chain wear.
Edit: I don't know if the HyperGlide lockring (pictured) and UniGlide lockring were the same size/threading (UniGlide did have a different removal tool); so you may have a UniGlide cassette/freehub with a HyperGlide replacement lockring. Again, just guessing!

Take care,
jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...