Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Compatability between Shimano 11 and 10 speed cranksets
I'm running Ultegra 6700 10 speed drive train, and just upgraded the crankset to an R8000 with double sided stages power meter. I know it's meant to work with 11 speed chains, but I figured it would likely be ok with the 10 speed chains too.

I installed it and it basically runs ok, but sometimes it feels almost like something isn't aligned quite right. Best way I can describe it is like a very slight shudder when I apply power on the downstroke. I think it only happens on the downstroke of the drive side, but I havent ridden it enough to really be sure. There's no play in the crank or bb. Chain line is basically the same and the old crank and seems fine.

My only guess is maybe something to do with chain compatibility. Anyone have any ideas?
11-speed crankset and 10-speed drivetrain should work just fine; Shimano and some people might say the opposite but nah. A friend of mine has a very similar combination, R8000 cranks for sure, and he hasn't complained much. Hard to tell what's wrong here from the "shudder". Is the bottom bracket fresh and fine?
(06-09-2020, 05:39 PM)hviz Wrote:  11-speed crankset and 10-speed drivetrain should work just fine; Shimano and some people might say the opposite but nah. A friend of mine has a very similar combination, R8000 cranks for sure, and he hasn't complained much. Hard to tell what's wrong here from the "shudder". Is the bottom bracket fresh and fine?

Thanks for this. That's reassuring. Bottom bracket is brand new dura ace, and everything seems to fit snugly. Greased just about everything there is degrees as well.
(06-09-2020, 05:43 PM)Nathan Carrick Wrote:  
(06-09-2020, 05:39 PM)hviz Wrote:  11-speed crankset and 10-speed drivetrain should work just fine; Shimano and some people might say the opposite but nah. A friend of mine has a very similar combination, R8000 cranks for sure, and he hasn't complained much. Hard to tell what's wrong here from the "shudder". Is the bottom bracket fresh and fine?

Thanks for this. That's reassuring. Bottom bracket is brand new dura ace, and everything seems to fit snugly. Greased just about everything there is degrees as well.

Okay, it's something to think about.
Ah no, I believe he has the classic 9000 dura-ace 11-speed crankset (not your 8000) with Ultegra 6700 group (10-speed). Overall, road cyclists would say that this is fine.

Possibly Related Threads...