Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Lance - 30 for 30
I figured this would be an interesting place to have a follow up discussion after each episode airs. For those that don't know - There will be a two part documentary featuring Lance Armstrong on ESPN starting tomorrow. Part two will be the following Sunday. ESPN will be mature language. ESPN2 will be clean. I fully enjoyed The Last Dance. I'm equally looking forward to Lance. I'll see y'all back here tomorrow for riveting discussion.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Looking forward! I have to figure out where to watch Lance from Europe. The Last Dance was class, it could be a thread for off-topic section. I'd gladly discuss it.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(05-23-2020, 06:09 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Looking forward! I have to figure out where to watch Lance from Europe. The Last Dance was class, it could be a thread for off-topic section. I'd gladly discuss it.
Thread made in off topic area.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(05-23-2020, 06:09 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  I have to figure out where to watch Lance from Europe.

Should work with VPN, right?
"Uphill, downhill, I like that"
Tyler Hamilton, George Hincapie and Floyd Landis will be there. This will get spicy!
Autobahn
So Lance was doped already in Oslo '93, that came as a surprise.

I wonder how many of them had cortisones or some other stuff in their system? https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/world-championship/1993/result
(05-25-2020, 06:58 PM)Sagan97 Wrote:  So Lance was doped already in Oslo '93, that came as a surprise.

I wonder how many of them had cortisones or some other stuff in their system? https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/world-championship/1993/result

definitely many of them but Lance still was the best among the dopers

here is a video from 1993 world championship -> best action starts from 1:15:00 and you can see Armstrong making his uphill attack @ 1:16:15
I just finished episode one. I enjoyed the history of how Lance got into the sport of cycling. It's interesting to go back and have people talk about the doping. The comment about how fast the 1999 tour de france was should have told everyone that doping was still an issue. Like the above comment says - Lance was the best among the dopers. I have a question I really don't know the answer to... Is doping still an issue, or do you think riders just moved on to other ways to enhance performance?
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(05-26-2020, 09:36 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  I just finished episode one. I enjoyed the history of how Lance got into the sport of cycling. It's interesting to go back and have people talk about the doping. The comment about how fast the 1999 tour de france was should have told everyone that doping was still an issue. Like the above comment says - Lance was the best among the dopers. I have a question I really don't know the answer to... Is doping still an issue, or do you think riders just moved on to other ways to enhance performance?

Pro road cycling is much cleaner these days.

It's not easy to build back the reputation after what happened in late 90's and 00's. I'm furious whenever a friend of mine makes one of these pharmacy & cycling jokes or brings up Lance & Co in a mocking manner. You can google some comparisons between doping tests taken in cycling and other sports, stats from a few years ago. They're ridiculous. The times change; you will still hear about positive doping test cases, every now and then, but those are becoming rarer Wink
I just finished the second episode. It began with a question - "Do you want to be relevant again?" Lance says, "I am still relevant." For me personally, I didn't think much about Lance Armstrong before hearing about this documentary. I really enjoyed the two part series, but Lance Armstrong wan't relevant to me. What I mean is that he wasn't a regular part of my conversation or thinking. I also don't follow pro cycling, so that's likely why. Bike riding has always been a personal thing for me. I would watch highlights of Lemond and Armstrong, but I've never sat down to watch an entire race. The series ended with an interesting thought about good guys who sometimes do bad things and bad guys who sometimes do good things. Where is Lance on that list? I have no idea. It does seam to me that all of the years he lied has clouded his own thinking. He justifies a lot of his actions. I'll also say that doping or not, Lance Armstrong was an incredible athlete. He accomplished some amazing things. I'll also say that the Livestrong organization did great things for cancer patients. Overall, I was engrossed and entertained by the documentary. I'm glad I watched. Looking forward to the next 30 for 30 about Bruce Lee.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30