Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

GION "ITALIA"
Giovanni Pelizzoli built frame shortly after he sold off his "Ciocc" brand (early '80s), and before he started making frames branded with his name. Pronounced like "Joan", not gi'on. Apparently there were very few of these frames made; a little over 100 by some accounts, but under 200 regardless. I have seen only 2 or 3 other examples; not all with the same tubing or features (one with "aero" top mount down tube shifters). This is built with Columbus SL tubing, 27.2mm i.d. seat tube. Frame is built by Giovanni himself, signed and stamped as such. He had made his name with his previous brand and did not need to concern himself with the commercial aspects of frame building; merely wanting to build small volume high quality custom frames to the user's specifications. The frame and finish are a testament to this; no decals! To this day, he still builds all steel frames himself; while family members work on carbon, alloy, painting, etc. I am finishing this bike with early to mid '80s Campy Super Record components. Maybe will complete this year upon obtaining final missing components. I have been getting parts for it over the past 1 1/2 years, but still looking for the right parts to complete the build. If anyone has further information regarding this marque l would appreciate it.

Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
Very cool frameset, bet it rides sweet.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
That's some craftsmanship, sweet ride. The dark blue with fluo is a fun color play.

What is the wheelset plan?
Autobahn
Take a look at this Gion fixie: https://www.fixedforum.it/forum/topic/92441-gion-italia-pista-by-giovanni-pelizzoli/
(05-12-2020, 07:46 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  Very cool frameset, bet it rides sweet.

(05-12-2020, 11:28 AM)G_M Wrote:  That's some craftsmanship, sweet ride. The dark blue with fluo is a fun color play.

What is the wheelset plan?

(05-12-2020, 06:24 PM)wwwalterrr Wrote:  Take a look at this Gion fixie: https://www.fixedforum.it/forum/topic/92441-gion-italia-pista-by-giovanni-pelizzoli/

Thanks folks! I have yet to ride this frame, nor have I ever ridden a Ciocc frame before. I have a Record hubset, and will probably use an "NOS" set of NISI rims I have already; though I was just looking at a complete American Classic carbon wheelset w/ a Camp 10 speed (wouldn't fit the frame) that might make an interesting newer option after a rear hub change. Pretty much have the Camp SR derailleurs and crankset good to go, but I'd like the find a decent Super Record headset and bottom bracket that doesn't break the bank.

Thanks for the link Walter, probably got posted just after I found my frame set; I guess it is getting to be about 2 years now since buying it. I never knew there was a track frame version of this bike. That front wheel seems really tight to the down tube; I wonder if it had a frontal assault on some immovable object, maybe just rim/tire set up. Crown has seen some "tool" abuse also. Not really a fan of fixed gear except on a track; don't own any myself except one I gave away to a young kid for his birthday since I figured I'd wipe out on it (nearly did on the test ride after the build!) considering all the freewheeling I've done over the years. Still good to see a different example; now that makes 4 I've gotten a glimpse at including my frame; one the same as mine, another with French Excell tubing (not a fan of the head tube tooling), and now this pista model. It deserves a proper restoration (if the frame is sound) with a full pista groupset; I hate the bar!
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(05-13-2020, 04:38 AM)Criminal Wrote:  Still good to see a different example; now that makes 4 I've gotten a glimpse at including my frame; one the same as mine, another with French Excell tubing (not a fan of the head tube tooling), and now this pista model. It deserves a proper restoration (if the frame is sound) with a full pista groupset; I hate the bar!

4 out of ~150 found and seen, time to grow that number.

p.s.
fun frame you have there!
Is this the one? 2.8kg

Gion by Pelizzoli
Autobahn
(05-23-2020, 06:14 PM)G_M Wrote:  Is this the one? 2.8kg

Gion by Pelizzoli

That would appear to be the frame I bought over a year and a half ago. Was it (still) for sale? I'd be surprised to see one exactly the same. I didn't check to see if the blemishes matched. I bought 2 frames from that company, but only once; they are not cheap. I only bought something that was extremely unique with some degree of pedigree.

Quick edit: I went back and checked for certain marks, and it is the frame I have; but it's much cleaner now. They probably could have gotten more out of me had the crud been removed before photographing.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard