Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Hello from Upstate SC!
Hi all (I'm originally from the Northeast, can't bring myself to say "Y'all" just yet.)

I did a lot of riding when I was younger, mostly touring (bike camping) and even dabbled a bit in some racing.
Then life and a job got in the way. Lots of hours, lots of travel, no real time for the bikes.
All that sedentary lifestyle resulted in a heart attack. So, here I am, retired, and decided to get back into cycling primarily to stay in shape, and out of the back of an ambulance.
I bought a used Trek H2 compact and enjoyed it. I was riding one Sunday morning and got clipped by some idiot texting on his cellphone. Go figure, back into that ambulance. Not too bad, some nasty road rash, 12 stitches in my arm, helmet did it's job protecting my noggin.
Good news: I'm fine. Better news: the lawsuit paid for a really nice carbon bike, outfitted with Varia rear radar, extra rear facing flashing lights, and a Rylo 360 degree camera mounted on the left end of the handlebar.
I'm nowhere near as fast as I used to be, and don't really expect to be anymore, but I am working on increasing my mileage, which isn't easy. The Upstate area is, well, let's just say there aren't a lot of flat roads nearby. Thank goodness for 11-34 cassettes! :-)
Welcome to the community!
It's great to have you here, safe and still capable of biking. Have you been doing zwifting?
"Uphill, downhill, I like that"
(05-05-2020, 06:38 PM)Sagan97 Wrote:  Welcome to the community!
It's great to have you here, safe and still capable of biking. Have you been doing zwifting?

Yes, I Zwift during the cooler months. My knees don't particularly enjoy riding outside in the cooler weather, and they complain later if I do. They complain if it's going to rain, too. Really, they complain just about all the time, but most times I can just ignore them.
(05-06-2020, 10:12 AM)Paul L. Wrote:  My knees don't particularly enjoy riding outside in the cooler weather, and they complain later if I do.

Mine do the same. We have neverending discussions about this and I often have to raise my voice.
Welcome greetings, Paul!
Focus Mares AL 105