Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hardtail as only bike?
I have been thinking of getting back into mountain biking after a 6 year break. I don't have the money for multiple bikes, so I've been enjoying road cycling on my 2013 Giant TCR. I have an opportunity to trade straight up for a 2013 Trek Stache 8 29er. How would this bike do for commuting and road riding? Maybe have a slick set of tires to swap when not trail riding? Anybody else use a mountain bike for everything?
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
does the Trek have lockout on suspension fork?
(02-17-2020, 11:52 AM)JoJoJo Wrote:  does the Trek have lockout on suspension fork?
Looking up the specs and confirming the pictures - The bike has the Fox Evolution Series 32 Float w/CTD.
CTD is Climb, Trail, Descend. I'm assuming "climb" mode for road riding would be the firmest setting.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Sounds like my type of dilemma. Back in the uni days, I commuted to campus both by 29er and 90's road bike. First of all, great that you have 29 inch wheel as the option. It has the speed, stability & upright position. When I had my first ride on 29er, felt like I'm on a throne!

+ during winter and its slush (or snow, or rain) I chose 29er over the road bike, even without having fenders; it's simply more stable and feels better thanks to biking position.

However, I still used road bike as the primary commuter. 29er was for trail training rides and hitting the woods. If I had to choose one over the other back then, most likely I would have kept the mountain bike. Because of the versatility. Turn the suspension off, rolls nicely on the pavement.

Stache looks cool, solid drivetrain with SLX & Deore XT group. Plus Bontrager components. What's the condition? Personally, it would be very hard to give up a road bike.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(02-18-2020, 08:29 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Sounds like my type of dilemma. Back in the uni days, I commuted to campus both by 29er and 90's road bike. First of all, great that you have 29 inch wheel as the option. It has the speed, stability & upright position. When I had my first ride on 29er, felt like I'm on a throne!

+ during winter and its slush (or snow, or rain) I chose 29er over the road bike, even without having fenders; it's simply more stable and feels better thanks to biking position.

However, I still used road bike as the primary commuter. 29er was for trail training rides and hitting the woods. If I had to choose one over the other back then, most likely I would have kept the mountain bike. Because of the versatility. Turn the suspension off, rolls nicely on the pavement.

Stache looks cool, solid drivetrain with SLX & Deore XT group. Plus Bontrager components. What's the condition? Personally, it would be very hard to give up a road bike.

I'm so fickle. I've been contemplating this trade the last few days. My road bike is still in the garage, and I already miss it. As much as the Stache would be a fun ride I think I need to keep my road bike. I think the "solution" is to convince my wife I need two bikes.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
By way of update: I sold my road bike. My friend put me in touch with his contact in California.
I got a great deal on a new Scott Scale 970. I also bought WTB Thick Slick tires to go with it to swap for road riding. The Scott has a lockout fork that should help on the road. I still have my Motobecane single speed for road riding as well, but only one geared bike. I'll see how bad I miss my road bike this season, but I'm very much looking forward to hitting the off road trails again. I thought about a more expensive option, but I think the Scale 970 will do just fine for Wisconsin single track. By the way - If you are looking for a great shop that ships world wide check out https://www.revolutionbikeshop.com/
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Wow, plot twist! Big Grin
Scale 970 is a good choice with solid components, should serve you well for the intended purpose. Only 12.9kg / 28.4lbs, sweet. Well done with this trade.

Any photos of the Motobecane?
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(02-27-2020, 11:43 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Wow, plot twist! Big Grin
Scale 970 is a good choice with solid components, should serve you well for the intended purpose. Only 12.9kg / 28.4lbs, sweet. Well done with this trade.

Any photos of the Motobecane?

"Plot twists" are why I constantly annoy my wife... LOL
I think the Scott will serve me well.

Here are pics of the Motobecane from a recent ride.
The bike has original front wheel, front brake, crank (Ring removed), and handlebars (Cut to bull horn).
I've updated the rear wheel (flip flop hub), tires, saddle, and brake lever.
It's a beater with some new parts.

Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
cool Motobecane -> what are the teeth ratio for crank & rear?
(02-28-2020, 08:46 PM)JoJoJo Wrote:  cool Motobecane -> what are the teeth ratio for crank & rear?
It's currently set up 34:16 freewheel and 34:14 when I ride fixed.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Nice one, I really like Moto's frame paint. Do you often use those handlebar "horns"?

p.s. have you already tested Scott Scale?
Autobahn
(03-05-2020, 06:52 AM)G_M Wrote:  Nice one, I really like Moto's frame paint. Do you often use those handlebar "horns"?

p.s. have you already tested Scott Scale?

I sometimes use the horns to rest my elbows on as a pseudo aero position. Drop bars are more practical. I took my Scott Scale for a ride on the road yesterday. I have thickslick tires on it that roll nicely. I like the lock out fork for climbing hills. I'm looking forward to the trails opening up.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(03-16-2020, 10:17 AM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  I took my Scott Scale for a ride on the road yesterday. I have thickslick tires on it that roll nicely. I like the lock out fork for climbing hills. I'm looking forward to the trails opening up.

No regrets so far I suppose? Rolleyes What is your offroad tire option?
Autobahn
(03-18-2020, 11:00 AM)G_M Wrote:  
(03-16-2020, 10:17 AM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  I took my Scott Scale for a ride on the road yesterday. I have thickslick tires on it that roll nicely. I like the lock out fork for climbing hills. I'm looking forward to the trails opening up.

No regrets so far I suppose? Rolleyes What is your offroad tire option?

No regrets so far. I use the factory Maxxis Rekon Race tires for off road.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Did you finally convince your wife to have another road bike after 3 years? Or does the Scott MTB already scratch your itch for road biking? Im super interested to find out haha Im a road biker now but I'm also having thoughts about going back to the trails
It sounds like an excellent idea to start mountain riding again. The decision to trade your road bike for a mountain bike depends on your preferences

Why I like the Trek Stache 8 29er
1. The larger wheels and wider tires offer a smooth ride on rough roads.
2. Like you said, you can replace current tires with slick tires for road riding
3. It has an overall solid build quality.

Why you wouldn't take it for road riding
1. Mountain bikes are heavy. I can't imagine going uphill on a road and continuously pedaling. Accelerations are slow, which is something road bikes avoid.
2. The wider tires definitely produce more resistance and friction.
3. Obviously riding position and aerodynamics.

I don't know how far you will go with a mountain bike but just try a road bike and you'll know what I'm talking about. Think about investing in a used road bike. If you can test Trek Boone, give it a shot and share your thoughts.