Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tucson, AZ
I'll be visiting family in Tucson, AZ the beginning of March. Where do you recommend I do some road riding? I'm contemplating riding Mount Lemmon, but I'll be by myself. Can you carry enough fuel and water by yourself for that climb and descent? Is there any water/ food places along the way? How long does it take to climb? I'm open to other fun rides as well. I'm also looking for a bike rental shop you recommend.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
It's a stunning climb & from my wishlist, Justin! If you are up for a challenge, Mt Lemmon without a doubt offers one.

https://www.strava.com/routes/22024

You can see Mount Lemmon segment below, the climb itself is 21+ mile long with 4.9% average. Time-wise ... how would you rate your fitness level? For instance 6mph average speed would be 3h30m. Sepp Kuss did it in 1h29m back in 2016 Big Grin

Good meal and lots of H2O in the morning, two water/vitamin drink bottles in the cages and some snacks & bars in your pockets. Climb to the top and have yourself a victory meal at one of their food places.
"Carbon is faster"
(02-03-2020, 09:21 AM)Nikko Wrote:  It's a stunning climb & from my wishlist, Justin! If you are up for a challenge, Mt Lemmon without a doubt offers one.

https://www.strava.com/routes/22024

You can see Mount Lemmon segment below, the climb itself is 21+ mile long with 4.9% average. Time-wise ... how would you rate your fitness level? For instance 6mph average speed would be 3h30m. Sepp Kuss did it in 1h29m back in 2016 Big Grin

Good meal and lots of H2O in the morning, two water/vitamin drink bottles in the cages and some snacks & bars in your pockets. Climb to the top and have yourself a victory meal at one of their food places.

That sounds very doable for me. I think I might make this a definite thing to do while I'm there.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Damn right you should! Wink

For bike rental I was told to suggest Roadrunner bicycles. Apparently an acquaintance rented there a decent road bike for the same purpose ... to conquer Lemmon.
"Carbon is faster"
Excellent. Thank you.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Mt. Lemmon, superb choice!
Don't forget to send updates about your Tucson tour, Justin. Have you done similar high-altitude rides in the past? Check weather in advance, should be ≈ 70 during first half of March. Be well prepared.
I have learned my lessons. Nice and warm day down in the valley. Tough and sweaty uphill ride, gets chilly on the top. No extra base layer, forgot my compact rain jacket. Downhill is cold as m***********, I end up with snot and sneezing that follows me for the next 2 weeks.
(02-07-2020, 08:18 AM)Nigell Wrote:  Mt. Lemmon, superb choice!
Don't forget to send updates about your Tucson tour, Justin. Have you done similar high-altitude rides in the past? Check weather in advance, should be ≈ 70 during first half of March. Be well prepared.
I have learned my lessons. Nice and warm day down in the valley. Tough and sweaty uphill ride, gets chilly on the top. No extra base layer, forgot my compact rain jacket. Downhill is cold as m***********, I end up with snot and sneezing that follows me for the next 2 weeks.

All great advice. I haven't done any high altitude rides before. I'm a Wisconsinite, so not many "mountains" around here. I plan to take many pictures and update when I can.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Nigell has good points.

Never underestimate the weather. It's colder up there, take a thinner windbreaker that fit into a pocket. There's a reason why pro road cyclists cover their chests with newspapers before long downhill rides.
"Carbon is faster"
mount Lemmon is a stunner! Definitely share photos from the ride, I'm already envious.
Good morning.
@J_R_Schultz did you already have a go at Mt Lemmon?

edit: noticed on Instagram a bike ride photo from Tucson this morning, made me think
"Carbon is faster"
(03-16-2020, 07:40 AM)Nikko Wrote:  Good morning.
@J_R_Schultz did you already have a go at Mt Lemmon?

edit: noticed on Instagram a bike ride photo from Tucson this morning, made me think

My nephew and I had a go. I was very unprepared. He made it up 2 miles before turning around to get the truck. His exercise for the last year has been weight lifting, so he wasn't used to cardio. I went 6 miles before turning around. I think I could have made it to the top, but it would have been a long slow day. I already told my brother and nephew I'd play basketball with them at the gym that night. My body was certainly not used to the altitude. It was also kind of funny with our bike situation. My nephew wanted to rent an electric bike, but the Pedego shop was booked. The shop I originally found near us was closed down, so I went to an alternative. They only had cheap hybrids with plush seats. We both ended up with bikes we didn't want. We were joking about all of the really nice road bikes we were seeing as we approached the base, while we had two cheap hybrids in the truck bed. The morning at least started with a nice breakfast. I ended up enjoying another day with 35 miles cycling the Tucson paved loop. I enjoyed being a flat lander. I have a funny story, and I'll try again next time.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
Well that's a story to remember!

Kudos for the attempt Smile
How long did those 6 miles take? I cannot imagine NOT being on a road bike while attempting Lemmon. Crazy! Do you remember brand/model of those hybrid bikes? I'm curious to see.
"Carbon is faster"
Did you catch any snakes on the road?
@J_R_Schultz
Everest attempt next time visiting Mt.Lemmon?

https://www.velonews.com/culture/everesting-for-a-cause/