Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Inner Cables
I like to have spare brake and gear cables on hand for obvious reasons. A recent purchase of a cruiser bike meant buying a longer gear cable because standard cables are too short by about six inches or less.

So it becomes necessary to buy a cable made for a tandem bike, and then cut a few feet off it. The longer cable costs around $8, compared with the standard cable at $5. I imagine that the extra money is not so much because of a few more inches of cable, but because tandem cables don't sell as well. From previous cruiser experience, I learned that the LBS doesn't keep tandem gear cables in stock. So buying online raises the price to just under $15 because of shipping.

If cable makers would make their standard cables about six inches longer, we cruiser enthusiasts could pick one up at the LBS for around $6. To not have a spare on hand would mean if the cable needs to be replaced, the bike would be out of commission while a new one is ordered online.

Attached Files Image(s)

If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
Just curious, how many mm are the standard cable that is not long enough? How about a pic of the cruiser so I have a reference of the type bike you are talking about.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-02-2020, 12:21 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Just curious, how many mm are the standard cable that is not long enough? How about a pic of the cruiser so I have a reference of the type bike you are talking about.
I have two spare standard cables that I bought from the LBS where I bought the cruiser. They are 87" or 2,210m. I tried one of them and it falls short, not by much but enough so it won't work.

I did some thinking as to why makers don't make a standard cable a bit longer. I think that the cables made for tandems don't sell as fast as standard ones. This means they become stock items that sit on shelves for a long time. It's probably not profitable for the LBS to stock them. I see more cruisers than tandems on the road, so it would seem logical that more longer cables would be sold if the standard ones aren't long enough. In fact, in the seven years since I got back into cycling, I haven't seen one tandem on the road.

I went through this a few years ago with another cruiser from another LBS, and he had to special order the longer cable. Same goes with a standard chain not being long enough. It's necessary to add about 8" on to a standard chain to fit a cruiser.

The bike is an Electra Cruiser Lux 7D. I'd like to get specs for it but can't find them. Incidentally, it has a 47" - 1,194mm wheelbase.

Attached Files Image(s)

Interesting, My standard cables are 2200mm. I have never had the problem on any bicycles i have done in the past. Never had the chance to do a Cruiser, will have to keep this in mind. Thanks. The only time I need to spend extra is for tandems, I buy bulk cables which is a huge savings and also buy 30 meter rolls of housing, inner Lined with black outer for most tune ups.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-02-2020, 04:18 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Interesting, My standard cables are 2200mm. I have never had the problem on any bicycles i have done in the past. Never had the chance to do a Cruiser, will have to keep this in mind. Thanks. The only time I need to spend extra is for tandems, I buy bulk cables which is a huge savings and also buy 30 meter rolls of housing, inner Lined with black outer for most tune ups.
I still have some bulk housing from when I redid the cables on a previous bike. I know you can save money by doing it yourself rather than buying pre-made cable assemblies.

I considered cutting a few inches of the bottom end of the derailleur cable housing off and pulling some of the slack from up front, but decided against that. It would mean pulling it a bit too tight and possibly kinking it near the shifter. When the bike was delivered, the guy pointed out that the front brake cable stuck out a long way. I always switch the brake levers around so the right lever operates the front brake. So while I was doing that I shortened the housing by four inches. I don't know whether the bike manufacturer supplied and installed the brake cables, or the shop did it. It looked a bit ridiculous sticking so far out. That four inches made a big difference.

Incidentally, I was looking at the late Sheldon Brown's article on cables. He, too, likes the right lever to operate the front brake. Perhaps I'm not so odd, after all.

And talking about cables, a few years ago, after redoing the housings on a bike, I greased the cable, very lightly, with some all purpose high temperature grease. Over the next few weeks, the cable got tighter and tighter until I couldn't change gears. I tried to pull the inner cable out and it was tough all the way through. There was no way so much dust would have gotten in past the ferrules to jam it up like that. I mentioned it on another bike forum and that I suspect the grease did some kind of damage to the inner lining of the housing. One guy told me I don't know what I'm talking about. I've used more of the housing, without greasing the cable and it was fine. I know, now, it's not recommended to grease cables at all. When I was a kid, I used to oil the cables with 3 in 1 oil. That was accepted practice back then.

Anyway, I'm good for gear and brake cables, now. I have two regular gear cables for my fat bike, and a long spare one for the cruiser. I'm set for life, as old as I am.