Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

FERREMI AERO CRITERIUM
Okay, one more project listing for the new year:
Ferremi "Aero Criterium" frameset with all internal cable routing, "crimped" seat tube, and partially "crimped" ("Profil" tubing style) on upper and lower downtube sections. Believe it has Columbus "SL" or "SLX" tubing, need to verify at BB shell; 27.2mm seat post. It is a full Columbus fork assy. I don't know if the "Profil" style tubing was done by the builder or ordered pre-"crimped". Tubing is similar to my "Nuovo Mexico", but does not traverse the entire tube, only about 5-6" at the top and bottom of the tube.

Now to get thyself to the workshop!

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
nice one, beautiful details! if I have to be honest, first time hearing about Giorgio Ferremi. I'm reading that he built all frames by himself. another Italian steel bike frame master.

@Jesper how are you planning to "dress her up"? if there is a plan in place
(01-16-2020, 06:46 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  nice one, beautiful details! if I have to be honest, first time hearing about Giorgio Ferremi. I'm reading that he built all frames by himself. another Italian steel bike frame master.

I'm a little confounded by this frame since I have not been able to determine a year(s) of manufacture (seen this frame listed as a '70s before, but that is not accurate). I would like to build with period parts, but if unable to determine vintage (probably late '80s-early '90s) I will put a mix of Italian '70s-'90s parts. I would like to keep with the "aero" theme so I will use "C-Record" dual route (will be set-up "aero-style") brake levers; but the rest is flexible: Camp "Delta" or "Chorus" brakes, OFMEGA/Galli/Camp crankset, Galli/Camp drivetrain, Cambio-Rino "drilled" shifters, Camp "Chorus" aero post, red/white LOOK pedals to match, white perforated San Marco "Rolls" saddle, wheels will probably be some Mavic "somethings" laced to Camp "Record" '70s-'80s hubs, and 3t '60s-'70s "Record" stem and bar cockpit. Frame requires no work other than some small touch-up on the paint and a polish. I'd like to go all "C-Record", but I've already have an excess of very good parts to utilize, plus added cost for missing "C" group components. This frame is going to be a rider for me so not as concerned about "show" as I am "flow". If it's comfortable and properly functional it might end up on this bike over the more "showy" parts. Personally, I like Galli for the most part just as much as Camp; but I'm rather limited in that stock also.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

(01-20-2020, 06:22 AM)Jesper Wrote:  San Marco "Rolls" saddle

Smth like this?

(01-26-2020, 09:06 AM)Aab Wrote:  
(01-20-2020, 06:22 AM)Jesper Wrote:  San Marco "Rolls" saddle

Smth like this?
That would be the one; nice example. I think mine has a couple of small blemishes just like the frame will have. First time on one of those saddles was in the late '80s; I have that saddle mounted and still being used. I have a Tommasini Prestige that is also begging for a white saddle like that on a black frame with white decals, but I've yet to look for one.

Take care,
Jesper

(01-16-2020, 06:46 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  nice one, beautiful details! if I have to be honest, first time hearing about Giorgio Ferremi. I'm reading that he built all frames by himself. another Italian steel bike frame master.

Just did a 180 degree flip with my build since I have a Basso frame with a full '90's Chorus gruppo in above average condition looks/perfect function. I wasn't using the Basso due to size (58cm-ish) and having a "cheap" replacement fork; never mind frame is purple and pink, sorry not my favorite scheme. I did buy for parts originally so a now's good time to use them! Probably put that frame up for sale on this site, it's just collecting dust; Columbus tubing, need to check type.

So I will utilize the "paddle" shifter/brake lever design, but need to fabricate (maybe?) cable "stops'' where the down tube penetration for the cable at the shifter mount braze-on is, and I might need to go from 8 spd to 7 spd if rear fork won't accept that width; not yet tested, but I have a 7 spd wheelset ready so no matter. Everything should mount up normally from that point onward. The '90's "Chorus " stuff might be a little newer, but I think it will make the bike look fairly modern with it's "aero" design and newer parts, along with a '90's 3t "Mutant" stem (quill; also have adaptor and "Mutant" stem for threadless set- up, for an even more "modern looking" build) and proper style bar for running cables through or use a previously modified/drilled "aero" brake bar. Saddle and pedals same as previously planned.
Take care,
Jesper

Donor frame has been stripped and all parts have been gathered for this frame. It will be completed by week's end at the "collective". Test ride this weekend on the "rail trail". Still determined to use "paddle" shifters vice DT friction, so slight modification for installation has been made (no frame alteration) to allow for the cable routing internally at the down tube.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

Blemishes add authenticity Wink