Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Derailleur screws
Should it be like this?

(07-28-2019, 10:02 AM)brno Wrote:  Should it be like this?
It doesn't look right to me, but function is more important than looks. Those screws set the limits for how far your chain will go. They are marked 'H' and 'L'. High and low. If the 'L' screw is incorrectly set, your chain can either not go right onto the largest cog or it may come right off the cog and get jammed around the axle. If the 'H' screw is incorrectly set, the chain may not go onto the smallest cog, or it may go a bit too far and jam.

The only way to properly adjust the screws is to put it up on bike work stand and turn the pedals while changing gears up and down. If you have no way to get the back wheel off the ground, then you may need to take it to a bike shop. Don't continue to ride it until it's been checked out or you may end up with a disaster like I did.

I had a brand new fat bike. Fifteen miles from home, while riding up a hill, I changed down to the lowest gear (largest cog). The chain came off the cog and wrapped around the axle. I had a heck of a time trying to unjam it. After getting it back onto the cog, I managed to ride home. I put it up on my work stand and found both H and L limit screws were way out. The chain wouldn't even go onto the smallest cog. This was how my bike shop (now my ex bike shop) put a new bike out, without checking and adjusting essential components.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post