Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

No action on wheels in cold conditions
I recently bought a second hand Giant Upland SE and to be frank, it is my first bike with multiple gears. The bike functioned normally for the first day or two. I could shift between all the gears. When the bike is stored indoors, the pedal and wheel work fine but once I take it out in the cold (anywhere from -10 to -30 degrees celsius), the pedals rotate freely and have no action on the wheel. Also I am not able use some gears on the rear wheel. Can anyone please help with an explanation and solution?
could be a couple of things, gummy freewheel or cassette, gummy cables/housing and or shifters. need more info such as type of shifters and is it a freewheel or cassette.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(12-08-2016, 06:40 PM)painkiller Wrote:  could be a couple of things, gummy freewheel or cassette, gummy cables/housing and or shifters. need more info such as type of shifters and is it a freewheel or cassette.

I foxed the issue with shifting. Now I can use all gears. But, the problem in cold still exists. It is shimano shifters and freehub with cassette
The pawls in the freehub are sticking due to hardening of the grease more than likely. Replace the freehub.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Fixed the issue with shifting and can use all gears now. Loose cable was the problem. Removed the whole rear wheel assembly including the hub and thoroughly degreased it before applying new appropriate lubrication (sram grease). The cycle works great now ! Smile Thank you for your help!

Possibly Related Threads...