Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Failure to shift from 4th to 5th gear
I have a Giant Cypress DX purchased in Sep. 2015.  I am relatively new to bicycling, just started about 2 years ago.  I now little, if anything, about bicycles.  
I recently removed the rear wheel while cleaning the chain and rear cassette.  It was in 3rd gear when I removed the wheel.  When I put the wheel back on I put the chain on the 5th gear instead of the 3rd gear on the cassette(counted in the wrong direction).  I rode the bike and it immediately jumped to 5th gear on the shifter, which is where the chain actually was.  Since then when shifting from 4th to 5th gear it usually takes about 3 or 4 rotations of the pedals before shifting.  Sometimes it does not shift at all until I go up to 6th gear.  All of the other gears shift fine and all gears work fine when downshifting.  
I don't see anything obvious, nothing bent or out of place.  I removed the top of the shifter and it seems to shift up through all 8 gears without problem, nothing broken there either.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to check before I take it back to the bike shop?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Bill Dare
(12-26-2015, 02:37 PM)BillDare Wrote:  I have a Giant Cypress DX purchased in Sep. 2015.  I am relatively new to bicycling, just started about 2 years ago.  I now little, if anything, about bicycles.  
I recently removed the rear wheel while cleaning the chain and rear cassette.  It was in 3rd gear when I removed the wheel.  When I put the wheel back on I put the chain on the 5th gear instead of the 3rd gear on the cassette(counted in the wrong direction).  I rode the bike and it immediately jumped to 5th gear on the shifter, which is where the chain actually was.  Since then when shifting from 4th to 5th gear it usually takes about 3 or 4 rotations of the pedals before shifting.  Sometimes it does not shift at all until I go up to 6th gear.  All of the other gears shift fine and all gears work fine when downshifting.  
I don't see anything obvious, nothing bent or out of place.  I removed the top of the shifter and it seems to shift up through all 8 gears without problem, nothing broken there either.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to check before I take it back to the bike shop?
Regards,
Bill Dare

[quote pid='34138' dateline='1451155057']
I would flip the bike on it's back after putting the shifter to the smallest cog position and remove  the rear wheel again. then reinstall the wheel with the chain on the smallest cog so the wheel sets back into the dropout in the correct position and tighten the wheel making sure it is centered properly.
[/quote]
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(12-26-2015, 04:10 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(12-26-2015, 02:37 PM)BillDare Wrote:  I have a Giant Cypress DX purchased in Sep. 2015.  I am relatively new to bicycling, just started about 2 years ago.  I now little, if anything, about bicycles.  
Regards,
Bill Dare

[quote pid='34138' dateline='1451155057']
I would flip the bike on it's back after putting the shifter to the smallest cog position and remove  the rear wheel again. then reinstall the wheel with the chain on the smallest cog so the wheel sets back into the dropout in the correct position and tighten the wheel making sure it is centered properly.
Thanks. I just tried that and it seems to shift fine now. Who'd have thunk it, just hit the reset button and start over.

Thanks,
Bill Dare
[/quote]

Possibly Related Threads...