Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Has anyone tried Park Tool truing mount?
http://www.amazon.ca/Park-Tool-Repair-Mount-Truing/dp/B00426BC28/

Even if you haven't? what do you think about it?

I bought one to try it. Haven't received it yet. Say what you like. I'm thick skinned.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
In the end of it all Elmore, you will have to tell us about it. I would think for me a no go. I would not want to flip my wheel every couple tweeks to fine tune it. I prefer pins on both sides of the rim @ once. probably fine for maintaining a wheel. Not so much for building wheels
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-14-2015, 03:23 PM)painkiller Wrote:  In the end of it all Elmore, you will have to tell us about it. I would think for me a no go. I would not want to flip my wheel every couple tweeks to fine tune it. I prefer pins on both sides of the rim @ once. probably fine for maintaining a wheel. Not so much for building wheels
Hi PK,
Your probably right. i watched the video of it in action and it looked pretty slick. But I have never built a wheel from the hub out.  I will be using it for getting old recycled wheels running a litte truer. I'll make a report after I do a couple of wheels.
In 1991 I re-rimmed my 27 1/4" Peugeot wheels.  (That's what I get for trying to jump a curb---I was dumb earlier on!)
I didn't have a stand.  I didn't know I needed it.
My only history was 'assisting' someone do a rim on an old motorcycle a couple years earlier.

LBS sold me Van Schothorst stainless steel rims

Starting at air valve did every 6th spoke.  when fully on new rim, put back on bike and adjusted from there.... using brake shoes as a guide! I really didn't know what I was doing, but I somehow muddled through!

"Tightness" was listening for consistent tone of spokes, when hit with end wrench!

It took a long time... 

Front wheel: I got side to side perfect...  and within 1mm top to bottom... 
Back wheel: I got top to bottom perfect, side to side within 1mm...
BUT  It took a long time...

When I finished both, I rode back to LBS, where I bought the rims, and he admitted he was afraid I would have brought a basket case back to him....

LBS doesn't do that anymore.... Just replaces the wheels...
Here is what I use:

http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3192.html
Nigel
(02-15-2015, 06:28 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Here is what I use:

Very nice Nigel. You must be a engineer or something like that like that?
 I'm just a old guy with 7 fingers and three moving thumbs.
Hello Elmore,

I've been using the Park Truing stand for about 4 years.   I don't build wheels but I do a fair amount of truing and I find it very useful and easy to use.  A bit pricey but when I accepted that, I'm glad that I have it handy.  You do really need to concentrate on which way to tighten or loosen, however.  Working from the inside of the rim with this style wrench, it always seems bacwards.

Bud[Image: TL5275.jpg]
(02-15-2015, 07:32 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(02-15-2015, 06:28 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Here is what I use:

Very nice Nigel. You must be a engineer or something like that like that?
 I'm just a old guy with 7 fingers and three moving thumbs.

Thx, yes, Mechanical Design Engineer. I made the stand so that I could clearly see what I was doing.
Nigel
Some while I posted this home built truing stand on BikeHacks:

http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/2013/07/building-bracket-diy-wheel-truing-stand.html

[Image: Truing%20stand%202_zpsmkllbkas.jpg]

Made out of a couple of building brackets and using a Workmate, it cost almost nothing and performed very well. No complaints !

ps. not sure the image is coming through, but its on the BikeHacks link anyway.
quite interesting they are. I pretend i am blind and deaf and use my knuckle hair to gauge with. works great! Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...