Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to store spare tube/patch kit
How should I store the spare tube/patch kit/tools for my bike in case I get a flat while riding? A backpack won't work as it is too heavy and inconvenient. I was thinking about making a small bag to attach to the frame to store the tube/kit and wrench in, but I think it may mess with the way the frame pump mounts to the frame.

BTW, should I take a spare tube or a patch kit? I understand there are some times where a spare tube is the only way (i.e. blowout, giant rip in the tube, or the valve stem comes off) but a wrench (needed to take the rim off the bike) adds weight (although that doesn't concern me) and I really don't know how to take the back rim off without screwing anything up.

Any ideas?
-Garrett, Boonville, MO
You should carry a tool kit and tire repair kit with you. Spare tire too. Check for packs that attach yo back of seat.
Never Give Up!!!
George is referring to something like this: http://www.amazon.com/BV-Bicycle-Strap-On-Saddle-Medium/dp/B00A3W8EG2/

I don't carry tubes or tools on my commuter because my route is close enough to public transit that I can get on light rail or bus quick enough and get to my destination with my bike faster than I could repair a puncture on the road. I do use thorn resistant tubes and tire liners for maximum protection.

On our tandem, we carry pump, tools and spare tubes.

Patching on the road is a LAST resort.
Nigel
10-4 to that Nigel and the pump. Having ridden mountain bike patrol with dept of parks, I always carry a small tool kit , spare tube, some first aid items and a hand cleaner. I stop and help people riding the beach bike path. Mostly things like chain falling off and flats. The presta valves are a PITA.
Never Give Up!!!
Here's the one I use, and it holds a 4' chain & lock and minor tools... so it should easily do a spare tube and tools.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281488535277?_trksid=p2060778.m2748.l2649&var=580524625295&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks a lot better than chain wrapped around seat tube...
(01-17-2015, 07:04 PM)garrett01 Wrote:  How should I store the spare tube/patch kit/tools for my bike in case I get a flat while riding? A backpack won't work as it is too heavy and inconvenient. I was thinking about making a small bag to attach to the frame to store the tube/kit and wrench in, but I think it may mess with the way the frame pump mounts to the frame.

BTW, should I take a spare tube or a patch kit? I understand there are some times where a spare tube is the only way (i.e. blowout, giant rip in the tube, or the valve stem comes off) but a wrench (needed to take the rim off the bike) adds weight (although that doesn't concern me) and I really don't know how to take the back rim off without screwing anything up.

Any ideas?

Just wanted to share my experience with others. For my road rides I attach the small XLC zip bag under the saddle (spare tube, 2-3 small levers, multi-tool instrument/compact wrench) and take the small Specialized pump (can attach to the frame like you already do or just put it into your back pocket if you're wearing cycling jersey) - that's it. These saddle bags have different sizes.

There's no need for patch kit in my opinion. You can just replace the fresh tube from the baggie with punctured one and then patch it back at home -> can afterwards use it as replacement.

Possibly Related Threads...