Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

90's Specialized Hardrock Build
A Just to do it build, Sorry no pics of the way I got it. But my Wife found it for $20 kinda trashed. She done good. If you know Hardrocks, to me they are in between MTB's and cross bikes, Highrise stems and riser bars Steel of course and some rather low to mid components. But some have nice frames and forks for the most part. Once I started to "Fluff and Buff" It was coming together nice and pretty. So I am like MMmm? I bet I could make this a pretty nice Semi-retro Single -Trac racer on a budget. So off with some of the old and on with the new. Here it is so far, More aggressive stem, alloy bars, sweet gumwall Velocirapters, sportier seat,canti's to v-brakes, and of course sweet Nos DeoreDX Thumbie's and Rear derailleur.
It is starting to make my $2000 Bontrager Privateer Blush a pinch. Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
"Done and Fun". Hard bike to beat for a Grand Total of about $350
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Holy Smokes, Bob! That's just Too Clean. I am suspicious of you Wink.

I got your email and replied.
Hi everyone! Bob brought me back from my bike dungeon. I promise to be around more often, soon. Been a crazy year!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
"Suspicious" ? I knew I missed the abuse. You know I am the self proclaimed Fluffer and buffer of all time! The formula is easy, know the difference between getting a bike usable again, and retaining and sometimes even adding value back to a Bicycle.
Rule #1 is if you want to sell the best used bicycles out there, every bicycle must be completely tore down, inspected, polished,rusty bolts replaced as needed. new tubes, tires, cables/housing.
Rule#2 If you plan to sell it, do not ride it or trash it. keep it clean and unused condition til the sale. This Hardrock is a classic example of a bike ready for the Dump because the owner thought it was to far gone, to expensive to fix because he could not do it himself. I could have just as easily made over $100 just slinging some cables and Flipping it. But one has to define the role they want to be in the cycling world and I strive to be the best in the area when it comes to quality used bikes and service for those who stumble my way. Tough sell and lower profit margins, but high quality and return customers make up for it in the long run. Besides, you can't take it with you! Smile
That is very clean!
Dear Bob.
How are you? I am fine. The weather is here. I wish you were beautiful.
We may have been given the same name (Robert is so Awesome) at birth but, I think the little girl next door was messing with you when you learned to tie your shoe laces. Her name was Sherry, wasn't it? Smile
We can agree to disagree, though. That's cool! If I complete a project like that old Special**Ed bike, man, I gosta test it out and get some dirt on the rubber side!

On the Top Tube (TT), I see a silver band just fore of the Seat Tube (ST). My guess is that the bike came with Cantilever brakes and you upgraded to Linear Pulls (V Brakes). It would be swell if you would cover those tech aspects and say why in your posts! Stuff that some of us take for granted is why a lot of folks join.

Roll On, Bob!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Dear Rob, To disagree with you, would be insulting my own intelligence! I did not mean to come off like that. I will try to keep the details like that in mind, thank you. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Rob55

03-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Bill