Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How do I re-tighten my front derailleur cable?
Ok, I was cleaning my bike and as I was wiping down the seat tube, the front derailleur cable flung out, as the allen screw wasn't very tight...

I looked up several videos and followed them to the best of my ability, but I can't get the slack out of the cable...

I thought that the white things on the cable housing in the 3rd picture were the barrel adjusters referred to in videos, but turning them has no effect.

Please help Sad
post a pic of the back side of derailleur
Not real familiar with the focus mares, but it look as if the cable will loop around in the back and up to the locking bolt. from this view it looks like a bottom pull derailluer but the cable comes from the top.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I was thinking along the same lines, but only one part of the cable looks worn so it didn't seem like it wrapped around, to me.

(It's an Ultegra 6600 drivetrain since I haven't mentioned that already)

The locking bolt area is difficult to photograph but I'll try.
*facepalm* there's a little pulley down near the bottom bracket that the cable is supposed to go around... I completely missed that somehow. Hopefully everything works orderly after getting it tightened on there, now...
fast with the picS ! a bit to close up but it looks like i see a silver roller on the tube with a cable channel (at bottom of pic). the cable comes down around the pully and up to the derailluer. The shifter needs to be set to the smallest ring before connecting cable. If you messed with the high/low screws or the inline barrel adjusters it may be out of your scope to dial in proper shifting of the front der. nice bike though.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I got the cable hooked up right now, so it seems. (Camera isn't great at close-ups, but I'll try and get a pic in a minute)

Problem, though. While the shift lever gives some movement to the derailleur (and clicks), it can't seem to pull the derailleur all the way over for shifting to the big ring. It seems like the spring of the derailleur is too tight, rather than it being a cable issue. Is there a way to adjust that?

*Totally appreciate the fast help!

Thanks for the comment on the bike by the way, got it for $500... It was barely ridden and just sat in the guy's garage for 3 years. I feel like it was a steal.
Ugh, cleaning my bike has turned into such a huge nightmare somehow. It's too dark to really do anything, now.
(06-09-2013, 08:45 PM)Ruya Wrote:  I got the cable hooked up right now, so it seems. (Camera isn't great at close-ups, but I'll try and get a pic in a minute)

Problem, though. While the shift lever gives some movement to the derailleur (and clicks), it can't seem to pull the derailleur all the way over for shifting to the big ring. It seems like the spring of the derailleur is too tight, rather than it being a cable issue. Is there a way to adjust that?

*Totally appreciate the fast help!

Thanks for the comment on the bike by the way, got it for $500... It was barely ridden and just sat in the guy's garage for 3 years. I feel like it was a steal.
Nice pic, to much slack in cable. 2. notice the little slot under my red line where the cable attaches, you are part way attached. pull cable around and seat in slot parallel with my red line then clamp tight.
Thats ok, when you get a chance to do that take a look at this video and do it all again to try to set it to shift right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLQk29enhRQ
Appreciate the help again, I'm really new to cycling and the bike shops around here are rubbish so I really need to be able to service my bike on my own.

Last post for today.
Just following up, although I'm sure it's not important to anyone and I'm just contributing to spam.

I've got to be the biggest fool.

First, I couldn't realize that the cable was supposed to go around that little pulley on the back of the seat tube until I posted a bunch of pictures of my bike on here... And now I've spent a week having difficulties shifting because I clamped the cable on the wrong side of the nut... Hah.

Well, I've just deleted the thread that I just created for help with that issue.

Once again, your kindness is truly appreciated and I hope that when I have a serious problem I can come here once more for help =)

Now, I'm off for a lovely ride to work in the rain.
Nice bike, perhaps a better picture? Good call painkiller.
(06-16-2013, 10:10 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Nice bike, perhaps a better picture? Good call painkiller.
Thanks jef,The first clue was the derailuer looked like a bottom pull but the cables came from above, frame would be better suited with a braze-on. the biggest hill to climb now is to set the front gear correctly, not always easy for a pro yet alone a beginner. Kudo's for going for it Ruya ! I like your style. Do not feel like a fool, thats why we are here to help each other. Enjoy your ride and come back anytime.

Possibly Related Threads...