Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Clipless Pedals
Hi all,

Pretty new to road biking and recently bought a Specialized Allez. This might be a dumb question but do all clipless pedals work with all shoes? What would you recommend for a beginner as far as pedals and shoes? Not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of money but would like something decent that will last.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
[quote='grimsto1' pid='21561' dateline='1336179613']
Hi all,

Pretty new to road biking and recently bought a Specialized Allez. This might be a dumb question but do all clipless pedals work with all shoes? What would you recommend for a beginner as far as pedals and shoes? Not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of money but would like something decent that will last.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi
It al depends on whether you are going to race, leisure or commute. I can give you my 2 pence experience from commuting. I use the Shimano m520 pedals and cleats. They are easy to use, cheap and very common but that makes them practical. I have bee using the same set for 5 years commuting 30 miles a day 5 days a week and no problems and bought on ebay 2nd hand. If you want to spend more then go for the SL style which is the ones with the 3 bolt design like look, keo and time.
Bear in mind there are 2 types of shoes and 2 types of cleats - the triangular 3 bolt design for SL pedas and the 2 bolt cleats.
I have been using the Shimano Sonoma shoes for 5 years and still looks like new after all that time. I like it because it doesnt look too racey and allows you to walk in it.
For further research people have written a whole lot on this subject if you google SPD's plus guidance on how to get started.
Not all shoes work with all cleat systems. There's two more widespread mounting standards: Three holes (triangular position) for e.g. Look, Shimano's road system and the two "rails" for Shimano's MTB / touring series. It is difficult (read: actually not really possible) to walk medium distances on road cleats. MTB system shoes mostly offer recessed cleats and a profiled sole so that you can walk in the shoes. If you don't want to continue riding on the mountains you still have to get yourself and the bike down safely. Road systems usually offer a wider platform to which the shoe / cleat / pedal is anchored, so the distribution of pressure on the sole is better.
Here's a good intro article:
http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/03/navigating-world-of-clipless-pedals.html