Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

WD 40
hi
You said thats wd 40 bad for lubricate bike parts, but is it good for cleaning??
and after cleaning lubricate with oil or grease or.....
WD40 is a cleaner and corrosion breaker mainly. It also has materials in it to inhibit rust on exposed metal and lubricate to some degree. But it is more for things like hinges that don't need real lubrication.

For cleaning, I prefer something less toxic like simple green or a degreaser specific product for really bad stuff. The problem with WD40 is that it leaves residues behind that would mix with whatever oil/grease you do use and could contaminate it. For simple exterior stuff, it's probably fine. But for bearings, you want everything clean before you put in fresh grease.
I soak my chain in lacquer thinner than put epic ride on it takes off all grease
The quieter you become the more you are able to hear
I use WD40 for cleaning the frame... Since it's a bit "oily", mud don't stick to it!!! No problem with paint also... Great also to get rid of juice or Gatorade spilled over your bike from a bumpy ride!
I have always used WD40 to clean my frame, wheels and chromework, it keeps a nice shine and inhibits any suggestion of rust.
It also works well to remove left over adhesive when you remove stickers.

A racer friend of mine from work uses wd40 on his chain before every ride. Before you all go crazy, he feels that it's better to remove the dirt and grit that causes chain wear than to keep the pivots well lubed. It's all up to personal preference, of course Smile
GT 85 is cheaper than WD 40.
http://www.gt85.co.uk/
Here are a couple of tips from my days in the autobody field:
  • Instead of laquer thinner, use PrepSol or a similar pre-paint surface prep. The dissolve any grease, oil or other contaiminant and are specifically designed to leave absolutely no residue.
  • Use a carnuba based liquid wax on the frame. Nothing sticks, including dust and it protects the paint well. Some even have UV protectants.
  • Put a couple drops of Finish, Crystal, or other dishwasher rinse agent in your bucket of rinse water to keep your rims and frame spot free.
(05-06-2011, 02:37 PM)Myosmith Wrote:  Here are a couple of tips from my days in the autobody field:
  • Instead of laquer thinner, use PrepSol or a similar pre-paint surface prep. The dissolve any grease, oil or other contaiminant and are specifically designed to leave absolutely no residue.
  • Use a carnuba based liquid wax on the frame. Nothing sticks, including dust and it protects the paint well. Some even have UV protectants.
  • Put a couple drops of Finish, Crystal, or other dishwasher rinse agent in your bucket of rinse water to keep your rims and frame spot free.

Thanks for the alternative cleaning products, will try today (if the thundery rain goes away).