Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Replacing Freewheel hub with Freehub
Hi,

I was wondering if it were possible to replace a freewheel hub with a freehub, without too much trouble. Basically, my bike had a freewheel hub and the axle broke and the bearings fell out. I've now discovered freehubs and was wondering if I could switch over to one of those using the same wheel. Do freehubs come with their own bearings? Do I need a new wheel? Would freehub versus freewheel hub be a problem for the design of the bike?

Thanks,

O
If you match the freehub specifications to the freewheel then you can do a swap. (keeping rim and using same spokes).
You need the same number spoke holes (32, 36 etc.)
The same diameter of spoke holes from center of hub. (if not then new spoke lengths needed.)
The same "over locknut" dimension. (distance between rear dropouts.)

Then you have to consider what current set up you have and will it match the new "cassette"?

A list of your current setup would be helpful.

A new replacement axle and bearings could be got quite cheaply to possibly mend your old hub!
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(07-06-2010, 03:54 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  If you match the freehub specifications to the freewheel then you can do a swap. (keeping rim and using same spokes).
You need the same number spoke holes (32, 36 etc.)
The same diameter of spoke holes from center of hub. (if not then new spoke lengths needed.)
The same "over locknut" dimension. (distance between rear dropouts.)

Then you have to consider what current set up you have and will it match the new "cassette"?

A list of your current setup would be helpful.

A new replacement axle and bearings could be got quite cheaply to possibly mend your old hub!

Thanks for replying! It's a Lamborghini Rapido:

Special Features:

Frame: Custom designed 7005 Aluminum. The Rapido offers a perfect balance of a stiff yet smooth ride. The frame includes a water bottle mounts.
Fork: 700C CS-9217 steel
Drive-Train: Shimano RD-TX30D Rear derailleur, and 21-speed Grip Shifters matched with an Alloy crank give this bike smooth and reliable shifting.
Wheels: 700C High V profile alloy silver rims
Saddle: Custom designed with Lamborghini style
Brakes: Promax alloy caliper brake front and rear

Full Specs:
Color: Custom Lamborghini Racing Red/Pearl White
Frame: Custom designed 7005 Aluminum 20 or 25inch size
Fork: 700C CS-9217 Steel
Headset: VP-H692W Black
Stem: HL-Quill 1" Ext: 100mmx 0 degree alloy
Handlebars: HL DR - 90N W: 430mm steel with alloy cap
Bar Tape: CB-0108 YR Black
Brakes: CS Alloy Side Pull
Brake Levers: CS 206 alloy with Braided Cable
Front Derailleur: Shimano TZ-31
Rear Derailleur: Shimano TX-30D
Shift Levers: Shimano Twist Shift SL-RS41A
Freewheel: Falcon FW-70 14-28
Chain: KMC Z51
Crankset: MY-A641 alloy Silver
Bottom Bracket: YST-BB-612
Pedals: VP 990S Black
Wheels: 700C DA-30 High Profile alloy Rims w Alloy Black. Nipples QR Front Wheel
Tires: 700 x 28C Kenda Black with Silver line K-193
Saddle: Custom Lamborghini saddle
Seat Post: Alloy Silver one piece
Nice looking bike but at the budget end of the market and uses cheap components, dont expect too much from it, except an introduction to road bikes and some fun.
Does it really have 21 gears with twistshifters? on a racer?
If you haven't had this very long suggest you contact your seller for replacement under warranty.
If you can't do that your lbs should be able to rebuild your wheel without too much cost, 7 speed freehubs have now almost dis-appeared.
Measure the frame spacing of the dropouts, if you have 130mm, then you can swap out the wheel to a new one. If I am not mistaken you can install a 7 speed cassette on a newer freehub, but you will need spacers. I think relacing the wheel will be more expensive than just getting a new one unless you can do it yourself.
Twist shifters on a racer? I had never come across this before until I saw it in the spec for this one, and the very next day I saw a bike with them fitted, a Barracuda, with the shifters mounted in the center of the bars, a very clumsy set up, I thought.
Many people don't ride in the drops, so it is probably not as bad as it sounds (for them...). I think it is not much worse than the stem mounted friction shifters (downtube shifters are ok for me on a road bike, not great, but ok). That said: I have not yet seen (nor ridden) it, too.
(07-09-2010, 03:46 AM)trevgbb Wrote:  Twist shifters on a racer? I had never come across this before until I saw it in the spec for this one, and the very next day I saw a bike with them fitted, a Barracuda, with the shifters mounted in the center of the bars, a very clumsy set up, I thought.

On further examination of this bike I now find that in order to fit the shifters, ( they wont go around the bends in the bar) the handlebars are made in 2 parts with a joining collar in the middle which means a special over size stem is needed, what nonsense!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

01-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

05-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Last Post: mmontero