Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Is your bike a Ship of Thesus?
I am trying to get my bicycle up and running again after 20 years of not riding. The bike I am fixing up is from my high school. It was not the first bike, but it was the first that I purchased myself. It was the first bike I purchased from the bike store that had a chromoly type frame. It was also my first road bikes. I previously had BMX style bikes.

As time went on, I had other bikes, but kept riding the old one, and over the years, various part break and wear out and got replaced. It's crazy but the only parts left that are original on the bike is the handle bar, the seat tube and the front wheel. Yes, even the frame isn't original. Shortly after I got the bike, some kid decided that it was funny to jump in front of my bike while I was riding. I crashed the bike and bent the front and the bike shop swapped it with a similar model. I am reminded of the tale of the Ship of Thesus where the ship is slowly replace with essentially the same part and the question is is it the same ship.

I think the simplicity and the general sense that it is a beater is the appeal of the bike. I was afraid of getting that nice expensive aluminum road bole dirty, damage or stolen. I did not have that issue with the beater bike. It already has tons of nicks and scratches. I rode the beater bike in the rain. I commuted to work. I lugged grocery. I rode it across state.

How many people have rode the same bike most of their life?
(08-05-2021, 11:40 AM)Paul Siu Wrote:  I am reminded of the tale of the Ship of Thesus where the ship is slowly replace with essentially the same part and the question is is it the same ship.
How many people have rode the same bike most of their life?

I had to think on what I replaced (even though not worn out): saddle, pedals, brake levers; but those parts have been on the bike for over 30 years, everything else original as purchased. Riding it for 35 years (I'm in my 50s) and just temporarily "retired" for a well deserved rebuild with correct period parts same as the originals, but in better condition. I guess it will be like that ship except the frame. Its not a beater (1980 Colnago Super), but I'm not repainting or re-chroming so it may not look like one of the best race bikes of it's time; still rides like it though!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS