Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Killer Cyclists
It may or may not be fake news, so I'm wondering why things are so bad in New York city. People being run down and killed by cyclists? I'm aware that some cyclists are ignorant and selfish, and don't want to stop for anyone, but so far there's no evidence of this alleged problem in other cities, although I do remember a story from about a year ago or so, in which a cyclist ran a woman down and killed her because, as he said, he didn't want to stop.

KILLER CYCLISTS
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
(09-02-2019, 11:49 AM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  It may or may not be fake news, so I'm wondering why things are so bad in New York city. People being run down and killed by cyclists? I'm aware that some cyclists are ignorant and selfish, and don't want to stop for anyone, but so far there's no evidence of this alleged problem in other cities, although I do remember a story from about a year ago or so, in which a cyclist ran a woman down and killed her because, as he said, he didn't want to stop.

KILLER CYCLISTS

More cyclists on the streets - - - > more accidents involving bikes? inevitable, even when cyclists are cautious, that's just the traffic life

Friend of mine once hit and injured a woman on the pedestrian crossing ... the bike path there @ the junction is quite long. It was still green for bikes when my friend went into the junction, but then it was also green for pedestrians when he already reached the other side (hard to explain it all and it's hard to see the traffic light color from biker's angle). Anyway, the lady did not look on her left (or anywhere because of .... drum roll ... smartphone) and just walked in front of my friend who wasn't ready for that - other pedestrians did pay attention and saw him biking. Lady was angry, blamed my friend for it all and threatened to sue him ... all because of her not paying any attention around. Luckily this case was not taken to court, but overall it resulted in my friend stressing out for couple weeks about potential trial.
(09-06-2019, 10:18 AM)Henry_G Wrote:  
(09-02-2019, 11:49 AM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  It may or may not be fake news, so I'm wondering why things are so bad in New York city. People being run down and killed by cyclists? I'm aware that some cyclists are ignorant and selfish, and don't want to stop for anyone, but so far there's no evidence of this alleged problem in other cities, although I do remember a story from about a year ago or so, in which a cyclist ran a woman down and killed her because, as he said, he didn't want to stop.

KILLER CYCLISTS

More cyclists on the streets - - - > more accidents involving bikes? inevitable, even when cyclists are cautious, that's just the traffic life

Friend of mine once hit and injured a woman on the pedestrian crossing ... the bike path there @ the junction is quite long. It was still green for bikes when my friend went into the junction, but then it was also green for pedestrians when he already reached the other side (hard to explain it all and it's hard to see the traffic light color from biker's angle). Anyway, the lady did not look on her left (or anywhere because of .... drum roll ... smartphone) and just walked in front of my friend who wasn't ready for that - other pedestrians did pay attention and saw him biking. Lady was angry, blamed my friend for it all and threatened to sue him ... all because of her not paying any attention around. Luckily this case was not taken to court, but overall it resulted in my friend stressing out for couple weeks about potential trial.
People who are in another world on their phones, are a major menace to everyone. Nobody wants to see more government, but if the phonies won't pay attention to what's around them, then someone else will have to make them more attentive with heavy fines. That woman needs shaking up so she realizes it was her fault.

Attached Files Image(s)

If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post