Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Oil can spouts
Years ago, oil cans had long spouts. Even the throw away cans had long spouts, but makers started putting little nubby spouts on the cans which makes it hard to get into some places such as my bike derailleurs. To oil those I have to pour oil onto a screwdriver blade and let it run down. The cans of '3 in 1' oil I used as a kid, on my bike, had a long spout.

So after digging around I found cans with long, telescoping spouts, which they say is a great, new thing. Had to go online to get it, though, because hardware stores don't carry it.

Attached Files Image(s)

If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
have not used one of those in years on a bicycle. I think I was in grade school. Ha. What kind of oil do you put in them?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-17-2019, 08:16 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  have not used one of those in years on a bicycle. I think I was in grade school. Ha. What kind of oil do you put in them?
I haven't used those refillable oil cans since I worked my first job in a machine shop. They're messy. I just included them to show that oil cans had long spouts. Why did makers stop putting long spouts on regular cans of oil? If I was going to use one of the old refillable cans, again, I'd use the lightest motor oil I could find.

I ordered the 3 in 1. I have a regular can of 3 in 1 oil but it has the stubby spout which is useless on bike parts. The new 3 in 1 oil has a telescopic spout which enables you get into tight spaces. I bought it after watching a video on spoke nipples where the mechanic used it on the nipples; it only needs a tiny drop. I do my own truing, so it will come in handy, there, too.

I made my own long spout from the red tube that sticks into WD-40 nozzles. I stuck it into the top of the 3 in 1 oil can, and it sort of worked but leaked. So I searched to see if anyone sold light oil in cans with long spouts. A four ounce can is less than six bucks with free shipping.
I see, thanks
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
The oil came in the mail, and I'm impressed with the telescoping spout. It extends eight inches from the top of the bottle.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-18-2019, 09:04 AM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  The oil came in the mail, and I'm impressed with the telescoping spout. It extends eight inches from the top of the bottle.

Waiting for full review on this one!
Autobahn
(08-20-2019, 04:28 AM)G_M Wrote:  
(08-18-2019, 09:04 AM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  The oil came in the mail, and I'm impressed with the telescoping spout. It extends eight inches from the top of the bottle.

Waiting for full review on this one!
Well, it's the same oil that has been used for years. It's the container that makes the difference. When first opening it, the top of the flexible spout has to be trimmed off. The red cap has to be removed for that. I thought the red cap was just to seal the spout to prevent spillage, but it actually has a tiny hole in it through which very tiny drops of oil can be applied. I used it on my derailleur a few days ago at my regular 100-mile chain clean and lube. It enabled me to get oil to the deraiileur guide wheels. The pivots that enable the derailleur to go across the sprockets, just need tiny drops of oil, that's if anyone thinks they are worth oiling. Of course, the can design isn't limited to bikes. Somebody must have realized that the can with the little nubby spout was not a good idea, and did something about it. Hope to see it in hardware stores in the future. I give it five stars.
A word of warning about this oil can. I live in Florida where it's known to get hot, in the 90s plus. I keep the oil can on a shelf above eye level. I reached up to get it and found it was covered in oil, and there was a puddle of oil on the shelf. Apparently, as the air space in the top of the bottle got heated up, it expanded and pushed the oil up the long tube. It cooled down and let more air in. That expanded even more and pumped more oil out, losing approximately a quarter of the contents. So, lesson learned... keep the long spout pulled up unless you live in a cold place.