Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tools for bike trip
I am slowly preparing for a two week introduction bicycle tour across Norway (happening this fall).
What are the most essential bike tools that MUST be taken with? Any additional general advice from personal touring experience (tips on other essentials, such as pump or how many spare tubes) will be very much appreciated Smile
It really depends. How many bike shops are there? Depending on where you go in Norge not too many. You need the basics: box with the most common nuts, bits for torx and hex keys, maybe pozidrive. Look at what the bikes have. . Bring an open end crescent wrench as well (depends on what you have on the bike. Tyre levers (maybe), enough inner tubes (at least two), a patch set including one for the tyre. I like old fashioned frame pumps, the modern small light pocket pumps are a hassle. A chain tool and a quick link for the chain. Set of dérailleur and brake cables and a cable cutter. Bring a decent multi tool as well. Most of this is in my pannier most of the time anyway. A spoke wrench (spokey style!) could be useful. Small roll of duct tape and insulating tape. Depending on lights spare batteries, lamps, cables. Since this is Norway: chain lubricant for wet conditions.

Additionally: maybe a spare tyre, chain, replacement dérailleur hanger, spokes for all wheels (at least one each). The rougher the terrain, the more things you might break. And you should maybe pack break pads as well, now that I think of it.

Other stuff includes rain gear, change of bike clothes, shoe covers! Small first aid kit, sure.

Lykke till!
(08-04-2019, 03:18 PM)Joe_W Wrote:  It really depends. How many bike shops are there? Depending on where you go in Norge not too many. You need the basics: box with the most common nuts, bits for torx and hex keys, maybe pozidrive. Look at what the bikes have. . Bring an open end crescent wrench as well (depends on what you have on the bike. Tyre levers (maybe), enough inner tubes (at least two), a patch set including one for the tyre. I like old fashioned frame pumps, the modern small light pocket pumps are a hassle. A chain tool and a quick link for the chain. Set of dérailleur and brake cables and a cable cutter. Bring a decent multi tool as well. Most of this is in my pannier most of the time anyway. A spoke wrench (spokey style!) could be useful. Small roll of duct tape and insulating tape. Depending on lights spare batteries, lamps, cables. Since this is Norway: chain lubricant for wet conditions.

Additionally: maybe a spare tyre, chain, replacement dérailleur hanger, spokes for all wheels (at least one each). The rougher the terrain, the more things you might break. And you should maybe pack break pads as well, now that I think of it.

Other stuff includes rain gear, change of bike clothes, shoe covers! Small first aid kit, sure.

Lykke till!

Tusen takk !
Mostly around Bergen and towards Oslo Smile
Biking in Norway, sweet! Smile
I saw this beautiful bike road Rallarvegen, which is on the Bergen -> Oslo route. The photo owner also mentioned that vegtur.cc, which helped them to discover some nice bike paths. Good luck with the preparation!

Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
As for me, I'd carry:
- A repair kit for camera and a pump! - A multitool – A chain grease - Some cables - Wire cutters -Maybe a chain cleaner, as we know, that it’s Norway with its wet climate.
Recently, I was searching for a multitool to carry with me during driving and I've found a nice combo on one of the sites which reviews on tool kits. I've found a portable multitool together with a puncture kit and a saddle bag (the 6th is here). That was really nice decision to purchase it, because I just looked for a multitool and got a bag and a repair kit as an addition. After it I know for sure, that different saddle bags for bike are the best! So, I believe, you need some of them for your bike for carrying everything you need. Better be safe than sorry, especially if you’re going in another country.
Wish you good tour.