Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Buying commuter bike
Hello. I want to try commuting to work with bicycle (30-40min bike ride), but there's a hole in the plan - I don't have a bicycle yet! I have not biked much in the recent years due to work and other free time hobbies (incl. family), but I would not call myself unfit.

What is a good entry level bicycle (up to 300$) for a 6'1" guy? The commute is pretty flat, but couple gears would be great in case I'm late or want to relax to the max - better to get hub gears or traditional derailleurs? There's no need for rear racks of other bag holders because I have a compact "business backpack". I intend to use the bikey only for the commuting purpose ... no need for suspension I suppose, right? I have seen those urban bikes with sporty look and no extras ... feels like I'm moving towards a conclusion by writing this text Big Grin
If you want the best bang for your buck. forget a new low end bicycle and try to find a much nicer midrange bike and refurbish it. look at older higher end bikes in the $50 to $100 range and if need be replace Grips,tubes,tires, brake pads, chain, rear cluster, shifters, cables/housing, pedals, have wheels trued if need be and tuned. (Approx. cost $200) and you are within budget and have all the new parts to get you by for many years to come, plus enjoying a much nicer bike than an entry level bike. Some thing like a 700c wheel steelie Sport style hybrid like the jamis Coda Sport. early 2000's or so. Cromo rigid frame and good to go

[Image: 28577427_1258597247606069_72889155412377...e=5DE586DE]
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hm. A new bike for that price is tough. I mean, not what people refer to as a BSO, a bike shaped object. Build quality has declined a lot, and a lot of what you get at that price point is not inexpensive but cheap. There are two ways out: 1) get a decent used bike, fix it, ride it, upgrade stuff, I like steel frames, they look much more elegant - I'd buy an older bike (1980s /90s Giant or Treck?). 2) search for good deals, end of season, last year's (or year before) model. I bought my cyclocross that way (and my wife bought a commuter, a tourer, and her cyclocross, all for about 40% off - yes, we do have several bikes, no you cannot have them ;-p). Not spending too much is a good idea, then you are less stressed when leaving the bike locked up somewhere. At my job I always had a way to lock the bike inside (lab, bike cage, ...). Yeah, you should buy a decent lock as well.

That said, my design points for a commuter would be:
  • lights (hub generator, less hassle with batteries running flat etc.)
  • mudguards, unless you live e.g. in Boulder, where you could take the bus the two days per month that the weather is bad
  • no suspension - at all
  • gears... well, if it is flat you could go single speed, however having a few gears is good. It is surprising how hilly a flat commute can be. I personally am used to not having the hub break, they are a nuisance, impossible to lift the pedal at a traffic light so you can start of quickly again. There are internal gear hubs without those. Otherwise: entry level derailleur equipped bike.
  • I would suggest a carrier, because panniers are much more comfy than a backpack - and you sweat less on the back. I know, I commuted four years in rain and snow and sleet (not much too sun in Bergen, Norway) with a backpack...

Edit: dang, sniped by painkiller!
Ha ha, dang Joe, been a while hope all is well buddy!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yeah, I just got a mail that the forum had moved, and would I not like to be part of it again. Maybe some of the others will come back again, like Nigel or Steve. Cool that at least you are still active here - hope you are well and you are still having fun on the bike!

Bike wise things are.. OK. Get in less km than I used to - but having kids in the bike trailer is a good excuse (and exercise uphill... they need to learn cycling soon!).
Sweet!
Thanks a lot, guys! I'll now primarily consider the second hand bike option. Will be fun to do some minor repairs or upgrades that don't take too much work or time ... what are your suggestions, where should I begin with the bike search? Graigslist or are there better platforms?
(08-03-2019, 06:40 AM)picco8 Wrote:  Thanks a lot, guys! I'll now primarily consider the second hand bike option. Will be fun to do some minor repairs or upgrades that don't take too much work or time ... what are your suggestions, where should I begin with the bike search? Graigslist or are there better platforms?

Here in Europe some bike shops have used bikes - sometimes overhauled already so you would be good to go. Some have second hand bikes that they sell for customers, usually priced quite OK. Don't know about your side of the globe, sorry.

Possibly Related Threads...