Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cannibalize and replace front wheel on cheap cruiser
I don't know much about bike repair, and I'm a cheapskate. I currently have two different non-usable 26" coaster brake cruisers. One, the Schwinn, has a good front wheel but the coaster brake no longer brakes. Considering the cost of the repair vs. the bike, not going to repair it. Smile The other is a 26" La Jolla that has a bad front wheel (bearings, I think).
I propose to switch out the good front wheel from the Schwinn onto the La Jolla. They are both coaster brake cruisers so I won't have to contend with brakes or gears or any of that. Is there likely to be a problem if I do this?
(04-07-2019, 03:15 PM)sludgedragon Wrote:  I don't know much about bike repair, and I'm a cheapskate. I currently have two different non-usable 26" coaster brake cruisers. One, the Schwinn, has a good front wheel but the coaster brake no longer brakes. Considering the cost of the repair vs. the bike, not going to repair it. Smile The other is a 26" La Jolla that has a bad front wheel (bearings, I think).
I propose to switch out the good front wheel from the Schwinn onto the La Jolla. They are both coaster brake cruisers so I won't have to contend with brakes or gears or any of that. Is there likely to be a problem if I do this?
I know of no problem that you might run into. If you do, how about replacing the wheel bearings on the La Jolla? If you are mechanically inclined, you could do your own, otherwise, take the wheel to a bike shop and have them do the bearings.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.

Possibly Related Threads...