Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike lights
Hi guys! I'm looking for any suggestions on bike lights for my night trips. I found one that I like that is the R60 from Nightprovision. I never heard about this brand before can someone give any feedback before purchasing it. I really like the break feature that the light has. Or maybe can someone recommend me any other light. Thanks!
(02-12-2019, 05:30 PM)Den0709 Wrote:  Hi guys! I'm looking for any suggestions on bike lights for my night trips. I found one that I like that is the R60 from Nightprovision. I never heard about this brand before can someone give any feedback before purchasing it. I really like the break feature that the light has. Or maybe can someone recommend me any other light. Thanks!

Hi. Thanks for pointing out this R60 light. Seems solid and I actually need one, so might as well give it a try. I don't have experience with it, but I took a look at feedback on various sites and it seems overly positive. Bright light + the innovative sensor + the USB charging (key factor, at least for me). Only downside could be that there is no flexibility in terms of mounting.
I am a big advocate of hub generators. When riding regularly at night, get a front wheel with a hub generator and swap it out for those rides. The light can be attached either to the fork (side, crown), the handlebar or even the quick release (have that for my road bike).
Having a light on the helmet also makes some sense, as you can light up a corner before actually turning (or look at sign posts).
(07-26-2019, 03:24 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I am a big advocate of hub generators. When riding regularly at night, get a front wheel with a hub generator and swap it out for those rides. The light can be attached either to the fork (side, crown), the handlebar or even the quick release (have that for my road bike).
Having a light on the helmet also makes some sense, as you can light up a corner before actually turning (or look at sign posts).

Hi. Couple questions:
- is there any hub generator model that you can show as an example? I'm not very familiar with them.
- have you encountered|had experience with bike helmets that have integrated rear LED lights?
- and with 'light on the helmet' you refer to the classic headlamps that are also used for trail running, hiking etc.?
(07-26-2019, 07:43 AM)Henry_G Wrote:  Hi. Couple questions:
- is there any hub generator model that you can show as an example? I'm not very familiar with them.
- have you encountered|had experience with bike helmets that have integrated rear LED lights?
- and with 'light on the helmet' you refer to the classic headlamps that are also used for trail running, hiking etc.?

https://nabendynamo.de/en/ is maybe the best and also most expensive one. Shimano has some in the program, and there is one that looks like a copy of the Schmidt (SON) by Shutter Precision. Never again flat batteries on the commute.

Yes, a headlamp, but preferably with a separate battery pack. You don't want the extra weight and batteries do not like the cold (put the pack inside the jacket). Helmets with lights... Hm. I have seen them with tail lights, looks OK. Not too terribly bright, but you don't want too bright lights that high up. It is rude to other cyclists (and motorists).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

03-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Last Post: gisan111