Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bicycle Touring and Camping
Hey Guys,
My wife and I are ready for that next big adventure. We have done a couple century rides along with some short rides around our town and have gotten bored.
We were thinking of getting some camping gear(already have some) and touring our state with our bicycles and without burning any gas to get to the destination. We have a couple one wheel trailers to hook behind our bikes, but are not sure how to pack light enough to do this.
What bike would be the best for this type of touring? We have mountain bikes and a road bike each that we ride all the time. I know to bring some extra tubes and even some foldable tires, tools, pump... just in case, but what else??
I know we need a tent(have a 4 man). I don't believe I could get my feet in a 2 man(6'-4" tall). As far as the eating, I talked to a couple that said it was easier to eat out than carry all that weight in food.
Anyone done this??... Please Help??
Thanks,
PJ
Research:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/47-Touring
Nigel
Awesome !!.... Thanks !!!!!!!!!
I believe we have all the gear ready and are looking forward to our first tour/camping trip on our bicycle's. Just have one question though:
Where can I put a couple extra spokes or what can I put them in so they will be safe from getting bent??
Also, do they make lightweight socket wrench/tools so I can take the tools without all the weight??
Thanks,
PJ
Something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Grip-ETC-200MO-Universal-Socket/dp/B000065CJ8/
Hi FredS here, as I can not get my old sign-on to work and have not had any luck at getting the password reset; I have started over with this sign-on.
(08-31-2013, 06:06 PM)!TREK4ME! Wrote:  ...
Where can I put a couple extra spokes or what can I put them in so they will be safe from getting bent??

Touring bikes often have a tube attached the left chain stay, closed at one end, with a cap on the other to hold extra spokes.

Others use this: http://www.amazon.com/FiberFix-Emergency-Spoke-Replacement-Kit/dp/B001GSMQZC/
Nigel
You guys are the BEST !!!.... Thanks Nigel !!!!... I didn't know they had anything like this... don't have to bring the tool chest, now.
Yee Haaa !!!!!!!
Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!
That sounds like a really good idea.Just take the lightest and least amount of items you can,you may have to purchase a few things en-route as you discover what you need.The one thing I would be concerned with is safety and by that I mean protection.I would carry a small caliber handgun or at least a powerful mace.Don't want to scare you but there are some mean people out there.
This is a... what shall I say without insulting anybody... very American response...
Sorry, I guess the "not insulting bit" did not work out as planned. No, I'm not going to discuss the benefit of being allowed to carry a gun with anybody. Here in Europe we are quite safe without stuff like that, thank you.
Hello!TREK4ME!, I know this post is some 10 years old but would love to know where you bike-toured and how it went. I/we would love to learn what you learned along the way. This is how great adventures begin, I guess.:-)

Take care and safe, happy riding, Girish
(08-31-2013, 06:06 PM)!TREK4ME! Wrote:  I believe we have all the gear ready and are looking forward to our first tour/camping trip on our bicycle's.

Yeah, I think that you have all of the necessary gear for your ride. Have a fun ride and don't forget to share pictures of your journey.
Hello, please let us know where you are currently biking/camping/touring. Sharing picstues and inspiring us would be great..:-)
I’d definitely bring a lot of water/set up big water bottles on your bike. Also if you bring food you can go to more off the beaten path places but potentially gravel roads will usually run into towns here and there so you could just pick up a day or twos worth of food every town and save having to carry to much
Also you should check out Greg Mcahon on YouTube he has a pretty cool bike packing series and will drop tips and tricks in his videos
When my partner and I decided to explore one of the best US theme parks, we faced a similar challenge of packing light for a day of excitement.
Did you two use a bike to explore the theme park? Considering the vast size of some of these parks, renting cycles would be a great way to save time and carry things. I'm not sure if it's safe to ride without running into kids or hordes of people, though...

(03-15-2024, 03:10 PM)veereshk Wrote:  When my partner and I decided to explore one of the best US theme parks, we faced a similar challenge of packing light for a day of excitement.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Last Post: RobAR

01-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Last Post: KC-Steve