Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Ross (Hybrid?) bike
Those self-sealing tubes are WORTHLESS !!

It will get you an extra 10 feet, before you are walking, and put a goey mess over everything as it spurts out if you have a puncture.

Worse, it gums up the valve - instructions say to remove and clean the valve. Guess what happens when you have 50 psi in a tire, and want to go to 60 psi, and the valve is gummed up, so you have to remove - wear goggles, face and clothing protection, and do it away from anything you care about.

Never again for me.

Presta valves - I like them a LOT, especially for over 100 psi.
Nigel
That's what I really like about this site. The information. The box promises you the world of course. Thanks for sharing your REAL world experience.

I intend to take the self sealing presta tube back to Wal Mart and exchange it for a regular (no goo) one.

My prejudice about presta valves is totally tongue in cheek. I have no experience with such things. This is the first time I ever heard you could put 100 psi into a bike tire!
You sure you don't want to try a 1.5" tire?
(08-11-2012, 08:28 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  You sure you don't want to try a 1.5" tire?

On the GT I have a 100 psi Kenda 40-559 (26 x 1.5) on the rear to support my wieght and the 65 psi Vittoria (Bell) 47-559 (26 x 1.75) on the front to provide a bit more bite on gravel trails. I have not ridden it enough yet to determine how this will work out. On pavement it is great.

Sheldon discusses using a wider, more aggressively treaded tire on the front. To me worth trying.
Nigel
Yep. He's gone from a light 559x35 to a heavy duty 559 that's a third wider.
Thanks guys. As an update: Cranked up to 65 psi on both tires, the bike really rides well. On sometimes crummy city streets, you don't hve to be so hyper aware of hazards. They plow right through 'em.

Good times!
Must say nice looking bike Smile .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks. It's been reliable too. It started shifting by itself- discovered the front chain ring had come loose. Had to tighten up the stem shifter as well. Other than that smooth sailing.

These Bell tires have really grown on me. Like the fact they absorb some rough stuff yet can still get up and go when the need arises. Cozy ride compared to the skinnies.

Entered into a bike predict ride in a couple weeks. Should be fun- 14 miles 600+ people expected to attend.
Hey Eric. Very cool! It's great to find a thing that works for you, is it not?!
Please let us know how the ride goes. And we want Details! Did you get free Pizza at the end of the ride? Did a pretty lady kiss you? We need Details! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Well, I know we'll be getting free t shirts. The winning corporate team gets a free lunch. Possibly pizza. They'll hand out medals @ the finish. Boss won silver last year. He's the one that coaxed me into signing up.

All that pales to the pretty girl prospect, LOL

And yup! Finding stuff that works for you is fine indeed!
Legs encased in cement. Beer near at hand. No better feeling than post race.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-23-2013, 04:13 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF

09-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Last Post: dahut