Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Ghost Bikes
Any one else seeing an increase in ghost bikes appearing along the streets ? In london theres loads appearing recently Sad

Boardman Team Road/Race Bike

Felt 620 MTB

In the US there is definitely a drive under way to keep track of every person killed on a bike and memorialize them. So I think you're seeing more ghost bikes (but not more fatalities). They're having a big argument in New York City about how long they will allow them to remain before the city removes them as "abandoned bikes".
Strange. I've never heard the term before and I'm not even sure I know what it means. I know people get killed riding bikes. I also know there are road-side memorials to car crash victims, but I have never heard of "ghost bikes."

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_bike

Confusingly, Ghost is also a brand: http://www.ghost-bikes.com/2011/
ghost bike link

heres another link about it

Boardman Team Road/Race Bike

Felt 620 MTB

Not so many Ghost Bikes...but a few Blue Bikes in Ft. Lauderdale area.

http://bluebikeproject.tribe.net/

Art...in bike form.
Interesting that this was mentioned . I was not aware of the term "Ghost Bikes" , this Saturday The LA Times carried an article on this especially about NYC and the Ghost Bikes there. Seems many were in Brooklyn and hit by trucks. SAD......
Never Give Up!!!
It's very sad, I see one every morning on my way to work and it's a constant reminder.
Someone Buy my Spinergy RevXs on Carbon Wheel Classifieds!
(11-26-2010, 07:40 AM)ThomasJones Wrote:  It's very sad, I see one every morning on my way to work and it's a constant reminder.

In the Tampa, FL area, we had 8 bicycle related fatalities between July and October of last year. In early October, when the count was at 5, several bicycles groups got together and held a 20 mile memorial night ride through downtown Tampa and surrounding neighborhoods. The morning of the ride, the sixth bicycle fatality occurred when a woman, on her way to work, was waiting for the light to change and was slammed against a house by a car that ran a red light, struck another vehicle and then slid into the cyclist. Two more fatalities occurred that month. It is starting to appear that we have Ghost Bikes all over this city.

It's sad that it had to happen this way, but one of the 5 people that was killed prior to the ride was a retired Rear Admiral and son of one of our former governors. This started a chain reaction in both local and state governments to suddenly start paying more attention to the needs of bicyclist and prompting the police to look for and cite drivers that are aggressive toward cyclists.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Ghost Bike is a brand name ı believe ......
Alie,

Ghost is a brand name but it also refers to a totally white bicycle placed as a memorial at a spot where a cyclist was killed.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-20-2020, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Criminal

08-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET