Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shipping Advice Needed on Packing
I am shipping my daughters bike to her for college. I am not a person who rides a lot or works on bikes so I am only learning as I go with this. I am concerned about removing, the rear wheel and how to properly pack/ship the gears/chain. Also any advice on shipping and reassembly would be greatly appreciated. Links to Maint. manual and/or assembly diagrams would be a good roadmap.

J
pay a visit to your LBS and ask them for a carton they get their bikes in, you may be lucky enough to get one big enough to take the bike without removing the wheels, in which case you will only need to remove the pedals and rotate the handle bars.
They may even do it for you for a small fee.
(08-23-2010, 03:21 PM)trevgbb Wrote:  pay a visit to your LBS and ask them for a carton they get their bikes in, you may be lucky enough to get one big enough to take the bike without removing the wheels, in which case you will only need to remove the pedals and rotate the handle bars.
They may even do it for you for a small fee.

Exactly what trev said but here is a small video I found that explains in a bit of detail.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db4gslIyTrs&NR=1 . I noticed he said buy a bike box, but normally they should have a used one which should be free.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I got a box from a friend who had just got a new bike. Recycle...reuse!!!
Interestingly the shipping rates for a box 53 inches long was twice as expensive as a box 50 inches long. $80 vs $38 via Fed X freight We can modify the box to 50 inches and get her bike into it if we remove both wheels.
Sounds like great plan Smile just make sure u check ups prices too
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Wink 
i found this forum after searchin for the same answers. here is a the useful video about packing your bike for shipping: https://www.bikeride.com/box-bike/?fbclid=IwAR1c50ZyYTn2fU2nvpIJW3Y4eWHlL1Nxt9YPd1_I8DpKgmQCCu1vqA6cgBw